Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

By Gawain
Just can't stay away

Princess Hobbit Artwork

6 Feb, 2011
2011-2-6 4:34:29 PM UTC

I bought fairly recently on ebay a piece of the original artwork from which two of the illustrations in the serialisation of the Hobbit in Princess magazine were printed.

One shows Gollum chasing Bilbo (you can see the picture on Deagol's site under his article) and the other shows Bilbo with 4 dwarves.

I was contacted out of the blue by an ebay member, eBay item mrpottersbooks, from USA asking if i would sell it on to him as he was trying to buy them for a donation to Marquette University.

I have declined (perhaps selfishly) at least for the moment as I am only just basking in the (limited) glory of having this unique item in my hands.

I have referred him to this forum however as a potential source of other owners as I remember some other examples being sold a few years back on ebay.
6 Feb, 2011
2011-2-6 4:43:09 PM UTC
I also own several of these original art from the series... but to be honest should check which ones I have.
25 Feb, 2011
2011-2-25 8:22:47 AM UTC
I was able to make a deal with the same seller you bought from to buy his remaining Princess Hobbit art. He had 8 illustrations total and I felt like I got a great deal. I have not got them yet, but when I do I will post some photos. Maybe Marquette University will want them (they should if I am giving them out) lol. We will see. If I think they will take care of them, then that is were they should go. Of course, whichever one is my favorite might end up on my wall for a year or so before I start giving away stuff I just bought.
26 Feb, 2011
2011-2-26 6:26:14 PM UTC
I just got the art today and thought I would share.

779_4d6945becb6d2.jpg 768X1024 px
28 Mar, 2013
2013-3-28 2:50:37 PM UTC
If anyone has any of the Princess Hobbit original Art they are looking to sell, please contact me at [email protected]
28 Mar, 2013
2013-3-28 6:56:33 PM UTC
I have an almost complete set of the Princess Hobbits and I was contacted a week or so ago by mrpottersbooks asking if I would like to sell them to him, or even sell him photocopies. He made no mention to me of a future donation to Marquette.

I showed Trotter some photos of these last week and I will post them, and some others, for the interest of all (hopefully) over the next few days.
29 Mar, 2013
2013-3-29 10:42:24 PM UTC
That was me who contacted you via ebay, but I never heard a reply. anyway, I mainly wanted photocopies or scans for personal interest as I have not seen most of the art and would love to read the Princess Hobbit version. I am less interested in obtaining originals, just thought it would be neat to see them.
31 Mar, 2013
2013-3-31 11:53:17 AM UTC

JonClark wrote:
That was me who contacted you via ebay, but I never heard a reply. anyway, I mainly wanted photocopies or scans for personal interest as I have not seen most of the art and would love to read the Princess Hobbit version. I am less interested in obtaining originals, just thought it would be neat to see them.

Ah, I see now you that you and mrpottersbooks are one and the same! (The email to me on Ebay was signed Jon as well.) Apologies for any misunderstanding.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us