Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Linguaphone Conversational Course English for sale

29 Jul, 2011
2011-7-29 12:34:49 PM UTC

Last week, I bought a later but scarcer Linguaphone set (different booklets and lay-outs). I now have two (complete) sets and am putting one up for sale. I thought I'd ask you if anyone is interested in the set. If not, I'll place the set on eBay. If you are interested, feel free to make me an offer.
The set is complete: it has all three booklets and all records. The records are in very good-perfect condition, the booklets have suffered some minor wear, but are in really good condition considering their rather poor-quality and their age.
This is a very fine set and I don't think there are many out there that are still in such good condition.

205_4e32a93b1e297.jpg 692X922 px

205_4e32a95399bb4.jpg 922X692 px

205_4e32a97b33d6a.jpg 692X922 px

205_4e32a981dbf98.jpg 922X692 px

205_4e32a9887fa1c.jpg 922X692 px
9 Aug, 2011
2011-8-9 9:25:20 AM UTC
For anyone interested: I have put the Linguaphone set on eBay, starting at €75 (which I think is a, relatively spoken, low price).

http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/Linguaphone-English-Course-featuring-J-R-R-Tolkien-/230658129858?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_123&hash=item35b44bbfc2#ht_500wt_1156

9 Aug, 2011
2011-8-9 4:47:04 PM UTC
HOEMM JUST TO INFORM YOU (ALL)

THIS (DUTCH) LINGUAPHONE SET IS NOT "COMPLETE" SO TO SAY

THE SETS WHEN ISSUED HAD 5 BOOKLETS :

LINGUAPHONE Conversational Course (The hardback but also in softback) IMPORTANT WITH J.R.R.TOLKIEN'S NAME IN IT.

LINGUAPHONE ENGELSCHE GRAMMATICA in 30 Lessen met Lijst van onregelmatige werkwoorden (some has different title's like Grammaticaal supplement vor Nederlanders)

Conversatie-Cursus Engels Woordenlijst en Tekst van de Klankplaat
(also veriations in cover, Text and issued by)

Supplementair boekje ten gebruike van HOLLANDSCHE STUDEERENDEN (19 cm x 12 cm) 16 pages BUT WITH J.R.R.TOLKIEN NAME IN IT.....

HANDLEIDING bij de LINGUAPHONE STUDIE (18.5 cm x 12 cm)
(instruction : important: read this booklet completely before you start with the study)

BUT THEIR ARE MANY VARIATIONS OVER THE 15 YEARS 1929 / 1944
SPECIAL THE BOOKLETS BUT ALSO THE BOXES AND THE LABELS ON THE RECORDS
NOT TO FORGET THE "LINGUAPHONE" COUNTRIES TOO : FRANCE GERMANY SWEDEN ITALY HUNGARY ETC......

INTERESTING LAST POINT : THEY HAVE ALSO ISSUED A BROCHURE WITH INFORMATION AND DETAILS, PRICES ETC. INTERESTING ENOUGH ALSO J.R.R.TOLKIEN NAME IN PRINTED IN IT TOO.......

5_4e41642b94c31.jpg 640X480 px
9 Aug, 2011
2011-8-9 5:33:28 PM UTC
Hi there, Jan.

Firstly, thank you very much for that information. You are being extremely helpful, as I don't know very much about the Linguaphone sets.
Secondly, are you sure that every Dutch set had these five booklets? I have another, later variant of the Dutch set and this one has these five booklets:
- Grammaticaal supplement voor Nederlanders
- Conversatie-Cursus Engels Woordenlijst en Tekst van de Klankplaat
- Supplementair boekje ten gebruike van Hollandsche studeerenden
- Aantekeningen bij basic English for Dutch students (not really a booklet, but a set of twenty loose pages with different steps in the learning proces (with exercises etc.), don't think this came originally with the set)
- English by Radio: Engelse gesprekken voor beginners (BBC) (don't think that this booklet originally came with the set neither)

So both sets I own seem both incomplete
Are you sure that every set had five booklets? Not so long ago, I sold another set but that one also had only the three booklets that are in the set I've now put up for sale. And the set René has for sale at the Tolkienshop only has these three booklets too. Perhaps I should keep the set so I can compare with other sets when coming across them...
9 Aug, 2011
2011-8-9 9:39:35 PM UTC
We have a Dutch Linguaphone set which also has five books:

Linguaphone Conversational Course: English

Supplementair boekje ten gebruike van Nederlandsche studeerenden (tucked into a pocket in the above book)

Engelsche Grammatica in 30 Lessen (with loosely inserted checklists for students to use in tracking their studies)

Woordenlijst Engelsch-Nederlandsch van den Linguaphone Conversatie-Cursus Engelsch

Handleiding bij de Linguaphone-Studie

Wayne & Christina
2 Dec, 2011
2011-12-2 7:29:54 PM UTC
I have no connection with the seller and would buy it myself but already have a set.

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: magicbus54500
(19342)
Ended Dec 2, 2011
This item ended more than 90 days ago

2 Dec, 2011
2011-12-2 7:55:18 PM UTC
It went for only EUR 34.90 - a bargain! Anyone here got it?
4 Dec, 2011
2011-12-4 10:22:55 PM UTC
HOEMM A LITTLE COMMENT :

AS WE ARE ALL COLLECTORS HERE ? AND WHAT WE WANT TO BE COMPLETE HAHA ?
YOU WROTE I HAVE "ONE"LINGUAPHONE SET I HOPE WITH ALL THE BOOKLETS ?

BUT YOU CAN GET SOME MORE :
LIKE THE DUTCH, GERMAN, SWEDISCH, HUNGERIAN, ITALIAN AND FRENCH EDITION
AND OF COURSE YOU CAN GET ALL THE YEAR EDITIONS TOO FROM 1929 UP TO 1944
AND ALL THE VARIOUS YEARLY REPRINT BOOKLETS
AND HOW ABOUT THE VARIOUS LABELS ON THE RECORS
AND THE VAROUS BOXES

WE COLLECT THEM BECAUSE J.R.R.TOLKIEN NAME IS A FEW TIMES PRINTED IN THEM, AND IT IS VERY NICE TO HEAR HIM !!

SO GOODLUCK FINDING THEM ALLLLLLLLL

P.S.THEY ALSO ISSUED A PROSPECTUS FOR SELLING THE SETS ALSO WITH TOLKIEN NAME ON IT .........
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us