Deagol
6 hours 34 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Poster Maps, illustrated by Pauline Baynes and JRRT
Just popping in
Group:
Shirefolk
I have a few large poster maps that have been illustrated by the wonderful Pauline Baynes, and some by Tolkien himself (coloured, but I'm assuming that this was done afterwards by the printer?), and am curious if they are worth anything (money is short I'm afraid!).

I've had them for about 24 years, more in some cases.

Note: they are not signed (sorry to say).

As follows:

Bilbo's Last Song illustrated by Pauline Baynes

Map of Middle-Earth illustrated by Pauline Baynes (the Fellowship at the top, Black Riders at the bottom)

Map of Beleriand (and the lands to the north) - with drawings of the emblems of the various Elven houses top and bottom - drawings of the embles by Tolkiien, map drawing by his son, Christopher

'Combined' poster - at the top is Thror's Map, at the bottom is Wilderland - both maps as seen in The Hobbit, map of Wilderland is in full colour

Bilbo Comes to the Huts of the Raft Elves - this is a poster advertisement for a 1987 exhibition at the Bodleian Library in Oxford, 'Drawings for The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien' - this contains a large print of Tolkien's original drawing, now in colour

Are they worth anything to collectors?

Many thanks

Posted on: 2011/8/10 11:17

Edited by Mithrandir on 2011/8/10 11:27:55

Re: Poster Maps, illustrated by Pauline Baynes and JRRT
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Yes, they are all worth different amounts, depending on condition and printing (as well as scarcity). If they are in near mint condition and first printings, they will be the most valuable. I own the Bilbo's Last Song (not a first printing) and Map of Middle-earth. I treasure them both. These two are more difficult to come by because they are older and generally more difficult to acquire.

I'm not familiar with the Beleriand and Wilderland posters, so someone else will have to comment on those.

The "Bilbo Comes to the Huts of the Raft Elves" and "Drawings for The Hobbit" are rather common but I'm guessing they are still worth about $20-$50 each.

The Bilbo's Last Song and Map of Middle-earth would probably go for more like $50-$100 each, depending on condition and printing. I bought a copy of the Map of Middle-earth still in the plastic (almost brand new, first printing) for $104.50 in 2010 on eBay. In 2007, I bought the Bilbo's Last Song poster (mint condition, later printing) for GBP 6.60 ($10) on eBay.

I hope this helps. If you are planning on selling them, your best bet is probably list them on eBay.

Posted on: 2011/8/10 11:58

Just popping in
Group:
Shirefolk
Many thanks for that, very much appreciated.

Posted on: 2011/8/10 12:46

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Hi
I agree with Jlong. Condition and edition is everything and this will dictate price by some margin. The Beleriand and Wilderland posters are quite common but still worthy of a few £'s or $'s. Just sent you a PM.

Posted on: 2011/8/10 13:02

Just popping in
Group:
Shirefolk
Well, Bilbo's Last Song is a Seventh Impression, while the Map of Beleriand is a Second Impression.

The others just have the year on them.

Condition of them all is good - they are 'mounted' on (but NOT stuck to!) a cardboard backing, with a sheet of perspex over the front. The perspex and cardboard sandwich are clipped together with special mounting clips which DON'T pierce the poster.

Posted on: 2011/8/10 13:35

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]