10 hours 53 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Hobbit Translations
Just popping in
Group:
Shirefolk
Hello everybody,

Let me present myself. I am a Spanish collector and my friends know me as Gololo (although that's not my real name ;-P). I have been collecting Hobbits since I was 18. That's... 13 years so far. I'm 31 now.

My collection started as a souvenir thing. Every time I visited a country, I would buy a copy of the Hobbit in the language of the country. But later on, I realized I would never get some copies, as there are some places it would be unlikely that I would ever visit (Faroe Islands, Iceland...). So I started gathering many hobbits through the Internet.

Right now, my collection sums 52 different translations. I have been in contact with The Hobbit Hunter and we kind of agreed that it's difficult to make a complete list. I would say I'm only lacking 2 more translations and 2 partial translations:

2 translations: Belarussian and Moldovan. Although Moldovan is considered by the majority of the linguists the same language as Romanian, the edition of 1987 is written with cyrillic alphabet and therefore, I would count it in.

2 partial translations: 1 page of the Hobbit has been translated into Latin and Silesian.

I've decided that I'll make my collection of whole books, so I'm not looking for the partial translations. But if anyone has a double copy of the Belarussian and the Moldovan editions and he/she is willing to sell... please let me know. It would make me very happy to finish my collection,, hehe!

By the way, if anyone wants to take a look, I made a small summary of my collection here: www.gololo.es/hobbit

Cheers,
Gololo

Posted on: 2011/9/3 20:20

Re: Hobbit Translations
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Sorry, I can't help with finding your missing editions - but I just wanted to say well done, on your collection so far and on ypur presentation on your web-page. Very impressive.

Posted on: 2011/9/4 2:41

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Canny help you, obviously. But, as garm says, nice site. Nothing weird about it!

BH

Posted on: 2011/9/4 3:13

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I collect books by Tolkien - I call it 'A Mad Hobby'.

I wrote something by this title for the Tolkien Collector, some time ago... the title is meant to echo someting JRR once said.

Posted on: 2011/9/4 4:03

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
If only a couple of folks would get moving with those back issues --& we could all read that little piece of yours garm!

BH

Posted on: 2011/9/4 10:51

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.