1 hour 57 minutes ago

Trotter
2 hours 19 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Identifying Silmarillion 1977 export edition
Just can't stay away
Group:
Shirefolk
I see a lot of 1977 Silmarillion copies for sale on Ebay but I have a bit of trouble identifying the correct version. From tolkienbooks.net I understand I should be looking for the first state of the export edition.

They describe two states of the first edition and add that "Minor textual differences indicate that Variant 1 was printed before Variant 2."

State 1: Dark blue cloth binding, with blue and white striped headband, dyed blue top edge and dark blue coloured dustwrapper.

State 2: Dark blue textured paper binding, no headband, no dye to top edge and purple/blue coloured dustwrapper.

Most sellers only include a photo of the front of the dustwrapper.

So my question is can I identify a first state from a photo like that or should I ask for additional photos of the book without the dustwrapper. And if so is it easy to see the difference between a "Dark blue cloth binding" and a "Dark blue textured paper binding" from a photo. Does anybody have photos for me as an example.

Additionally suppose I should find a first state of this book how much should I reasonably expect to pay for it?

Posted on: 2011/10/24 14:06

Edited by Khamul on 2011/10/24 14:31:26

Re: Identifying Silmarillion 1997 export edition
Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
I've had a rant about this fairly recently on these forums!
(I'm sure someone, Trotter!, could find it & provide a link here.)

Firstly, from a value perspective, there should be very little difference (paid) between 1st impressions.

Clearly the correction of the italicized "and" in the Ulmo entry (or the very assumption that there was an error and it was then corrected i.e. this order) is the distinguishing point differentiating the two states of the Clowes 1st impression.

Yes, the other features (cloth/paper binding; presence, or not of headbands; & dyed top edge, or not) can be used to identify the two states --but they should not be absolutely trusted.

The DJ shade is difficult to ascertain from photos. The other points are easy to see, provided (as you discuss) good images are provided. But, ultimately, the error(s) (or correction(s) of them) identify the priority of the sheets themselves --nothing else.

As I've mentioned previously: I have a paper bound Clowes 1st, review copy. And, there are intermediate states of practically every other impression & book club variant. These aren't, I believe, binding mistakes or errors, as someone previously suggested. They simply used a lot of different printers, and printed many, many copies.

So, if the seller can be trusted, I'd get straight to the point & just ask about the Ulmo error. I wouldn't pay more than £10 for a copy of The Silmarillion.

BH

Posted on: 2011/10/24 14:28

Re: Identifying Silmarillion 1977 export edition
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
paper bound Clowes 1st, review copy

Is the cover the same then?

Posted on: 2011/10/24 23:02

Re: Identifying Silmarillion 1977 export edition
Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
If you're referring to the DJ --then, yes, it's a standard DJ. If you mean the boards themselves --again, yes, standard paper covered boards. However the point is, if you'd seen a Clowes 1st impression with paper covered boards --one would have assumed it had the Ulmo error corrected i.e. it was the 2nd Clowes state (or the "intermediate", between the 1st state & the Clowes Book Club edition --whatever you want to call it). It is not (the 2nd state). It has both errors present. More unconventionally it has a priced jacket, casting doubt on the cast iron assumption that Clowes = "export". It's more complicated than that. Not hugely so, but not so clear cut.

BH

Posted on: 2011/10/25 14:47

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]