« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 63 »

Re: New Book Releases
Home away from home
From Queenstown, New Zealand
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

Khamul wrote:
I just read John Rateliff's blog [review] of Tolkien Tapestry --how phenomenally negative. It makes me wonder whether he has a high opinion of any Tolkien-inspired art? If he does not, this critique makes sense --although the point in criticising one particular artist seems rather pointless (if you don't rate any of them.)

BH

Obviously John Rateliff definitely doesn't like Cor Blok's work (and to be honest, I think there are more people who dislike it than like it), but I didn't see any evidence in that review that he dislikes all Tolkien-inspired art.

I personally think HC have probably overexposed Blok's work, when it was only ever going to be something to the taste of a fairly small minority. Two Cor Blok calendars in a row is *really* pushing it for most people and I suspect many will have already seen enough without needing to get the book.

Nothing like art to be divisive!

Stu

Posted on: 2011/11/6 17:30

Just can't stay away
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Wayne and Christina have posted about the release of the Art of the
Hobbit

Link

Dior

Posted on: 2011/11/6 20:38

Just can't stay away
Group:
Shirefolk
I like Cor Blok's paintings. Some remind me of Breughel. I've read Tolkien bought two of his paintings after Blok visited him in the early sixties, i.e. "The Battle of the Hornburg" and "The Dead Marshes". So if anything, we can conclude that Tolkien had better taste than Rateliff has when it comes to art.

In other news I also received The Art of the Hobbit and it looks great. Also backordered the Tolkien Companion and Guide. Now I only have to find the time to read all the 2000+ pages.

Posted on: 2011/11/7 15:23

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Stu, I did say it makes me wonder...

What I was really edging towards saying was --if Rateliff (watch that spelling SonOfDolf! ) just doesn't like Blok's art personally (otherwise known as personal taste), he should just plainly state this. Instead it's dressed up in some fairly harsh criticism of the art itself. It was the tone more than anything.

That aside, I wonder who he does rate. I think, personally, that Tolkien saw in Blok's art something he liked --hence buying a few. Blok reminds me of Baynes (& more recently Ruth Lacon) in lacking realism. Somehow I don't think (just speculation, mind) Tolkien would have much liked Howe, Nasmith, or even perhaps Lee. I'm just curious as to whether Rateliff rates any of the big three...

BH

Posted on: 2011/11/7 15:45

Just can't stay away
Group:
Shirefolk
watch that spelling SonOfDolf

I liked my original spelling better, but I corrected it anyway

Posted on: 2011/11/7 16:03

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 63 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.