wellinghall
10 hours 11 minutes ago

Red
10 hours 26 minutes ago

Khamûl
12 hours 7 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Re: A Tolkien Tapestry (Special Edition)
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
"Since in real these paintings do look brilliant!"

They do - I saw some a few years ago, when their owner(s) kindly allowed them to be displayed during an Art Show at Oxonmoot. I remember the Ents painting, with one ent whose head looks like a conker.

I'd been intrigued by Blok's work for some years, and it was terrific to see them 'in the flesh' as it were - (same goes for other painters' work; Ted Nasmith e.g.). Close up, one can see the various layering which goes in to the construction of the painting; it's a fascinating technique.

To my uncultured mind, it's a bit like the Tolkien bookbindings of Philip Smith, some of which were displayed during the 1992 Conference. At first I wasn't sure what to make of them aesthetically (meaning: I didn't like 'em much). but since then I've read up a bit on Smith's book-bindings and his techniques - (I have a signed copy of a booklet by him - I'm an autograph hound) - and I've seen other examples of his works in a sales catalogue, and I've warmed to them; the amount of work and thought which goes into the paintings of Blok, and Smith's book-bindings, is impressive. As are the results.

I would like to see some more of both men's works.

Posted on: 2011/12/27 2:43

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
funny... next to Cor Blok I'm a huge fan of Philip Smith! Have been writing back and forth with him (lately with his wife, since Smith can't do the letter writing any long) and it is indeed an amazing person, who made incredible nice pieces of art. Nice to hear you have come to like it!

Posted on: 2011/12/27 3:12

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Indeed, Smith's LR stuff is pretty interesting. I remember buying a Philip Smith lot from a guy, including: THE LORD OF THE RINGS AND OTHER BOOKBINDINGS OF PHILIP SMITH (Signed; with signed errata notes and 8 annotated postcards), MODERN BRITISH BOOKBINDING (Signed), and THE PRIVATE LIBRARY (Signed and annotated) including ‘Understanding the Physical Book-Arts’ by Philip Smith. They are all very interesting. Maybe I'm an autograph hound too garm?

(Pieter, don't suppose you managed to see Blok?)

BH

Posted on: 2011/12/27 8:51

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Let's see - I have a signed copy of THE LORD OF THE RINGS AND OTHER BOOKBINDINGS OF PHILIP SMITH (no annotaions; only one postcard tipped in at the rear), and THE PRIVATE LIBRARY including ‘Understanding the Physical Book-Arts’ by Philip Smith. Mine isn't signed.

I also have a copy of the Sotheby's catalogue for their sale of 10th July 2003, in London. Pages 238-251 consist of what is virtually a full-blown article on Philip Smith's book-bindings, with pp.238-247 dedicated to Smith's 'book-wall' of LotR. There are many first-class photos of the bindings; wonderful. IIRC, the book-wall sold for around £50,000.

Posted on: 2011/12/27 9:55

Just can't stay away
Group:
Shirefolk
Interview with Cor Blok I found on TolkienLibrary.com.

Cor Blok interview on youtube

Article on TolkienLibrary.com

Posted on: 2012/1/2 6:08

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.