Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

8 Jan, 2012
2012-1-8 9:16:17 PM UTC
Indeed. I can do without a book that costs £100, but is worth less than half that; although, we'll see what the final price is. I only need two volumes to complete my HoME set --& this ain't one of them!

BH
9 Jan, 2012
2012-1-9 7:14:18 AM UTC
I think I paid about 35-40 pounds for my copy, three or four years ago. It was and is in perfect condition. This one on eBay looks like it has a bit of wear (from the little that can be seen).
9 Jan, 2012 (edited)
2012-1-9 4:44:19 PM UTC
I was also one of the bidders on the book, but it seems someone really wants to have it, so I left the field. :)

It would be great to own this edition but over 100 pounds is a little bit to much for it, in my opinion.

@sami1066:
It took me some time to get the edition you mentioned, but I wouldn´t call it rare.
9 Jan, 2012
2012-1-9 7:17:58 PM UTC
I've got two since i started this thread, after 18 months though, id say its rare(ish) but not scarce enough to be highly sought after, and I think there was only one impression.
9 Jan, 2012
2012-1-9 8:02:07 PM UTC
I think there were at least three impressions, thanks to Deagol.

http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/details.php?reference=64400
9 Jan, 2012
2012-1-9 9:01:17 PM UTC
Well, the HoME-style UT went for 156 pounds in the end, which is fairly steep IMHO. Having said that, if you want a full set of all the books in these covers, this is certainly the rarest by a *long* way. Peoples of Middle-Earth is two-a-penny these days and it sells for a similar price.

That said, one might sell next week for twenty pounds - who knows!?

Stu
9 Jan, 2012
2012-1-9 10:09:46 PM UTC
Seriously. What an unutterable pile of stinking piddle. £156!? Some people have far, far too much money & absolutely no brains --either that, or they have serious issues with self control: Gotta keep bidding!!! --even though I know we passed the "what it's actually worth" value about a week ago... Mental. Totally mental.

To put in context, as Stu states --you can pick up a copy of PoME for this price. (I just bought a LotRs, 1 volume, 1969 Deluxe India Paper Edition for £149!)

Well, it's their money I suppose.

BH
9 Jan, 2012
2012-1-9 10:20:36 PM UTC

Khamul wrote:
Seriously. What an unutterable pile of stinking piddle. £156!? Some people have far, far too much money & absolutely no brains --either that, or they have serious issues with self control: Gotta keep bidding!!! --even though I know we passed the "what it's actually worth" value about a week ago... Mental. Totally mental.

To put in context, as Stu states --you can pick up a copy of PoME for this price. (I just bought a LotRs, 1 volume, 1969 Deluxe India Paper Edition for £149!)

Well, it's their money I suppose.

BH

But I would argue that "Peoples" doesn't really make any sense for that price, either. It is expensive because someone decided to claim it was rare a few years back, even though it isn't rare at all. It is hard to rationalise the prices, because buying a book for 150 pounds simply isn't rational in any way, be it a relatively rate UT or PoME. I think, generally speaking, prices seem to be moderating a lot, and that can only be a good thing.

Still, if I got another chance to pick up a second copy of this sub 50 pounds, I definitely would (as I have two sets of HoME -- and it would be nice to complete the "B" set which I have on display).

Except for "my book buying days being over", of course (Doh!)

Stu
9 Jan, 2012
2012-1-9 10:26:29 PM UTC
Agreed. The price for PoME makes little sense, at the higher range. At least prices are on the drop (--for those who don't have a copy.) Minus £50 would be £106 (ain't my maths good?) --I don't think I'd waste £106 on this either. Now £56, maybe.

Two sets!? You is a crazy man!

BH
9 Jan, 2012
2012-1-9 10:40:08 PM UTC
Well just a different opinion from my perspective (since everyone seems to be in agreement that the price is too high).

Personally, I tend to buy/bid more on books primarily based on rarity. And since this particular edition of Unifinished Tales is probably one of the rarest of the modern Tolkien Editions, the final price is no surprise to me and I don't see the price as particularily high when compared to what other more common editions sell for.

If you only have an average of one copy a year come up for sale (and a multitude of Tolkien Collectors worldwide) why is £156 so surprising. And this is just one Ebay Auction which a limited number of collectors came across. I can imagine some collectors paying a lot more if a copy were listed on one of non-auction books sites (ABE, Amazon, Alibris etc). It may take a while to sell at a higher price, but it would sell.

Anyway my 2 cents - and just to add a different opinion. Too much harmony on this thread!!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us