Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

10 Jan, 2012
2012-1-10 9:51:30 PM UTC
Nerdy car indeed. Very nice it is Stu. On to more pressing matters...

The only historical eBay prices that I've noted are:-

Sept 2009 - £8 (~VG)
Aug 2009 - £32 (~VG)
Feb 2009 - £129 (~VG)
May 2008 - £41 (Stu's copy)

Don't see any earlier, but I probably wasn't too aware of the copy pre-2006.

Why (I'm just curious) do you all assume this is a real rarity, when the only basis for this view is market availablility? Yes, it doesn't seem to turn up that often --but does anyone actually know how many were printed? (Genuinely: does anyone?) If the print run was as for MR, or WotJ, or PoME --then there are many copies out there, and not that many people after them. This is not truly rare, just scarce to market.

Any bets another comes up really soon though; it always happens. (Although, with all this talk, it will probably go for more! )

BH
10 Jan, 2012
2012-1-10 11:16:32 PM UTC

Khamul wrote:
Nerdy car indeed. Very nice it is Stu. On to more pressing matters...

The only historical eBay prices that I've noted are:-

Sept 2009 - £8 (~VG)
Aug 2009 - £32 (~VG)
Feb 2009 - £129 (~VG)
May 2008 - £41 (Stu's copy)

Don't see any earlier, but I probably wasn't too aware of the copy pre-2006.

Why (I'm just curious) do you all assume this is a real rarity, when the only basis for this view is market availablility? Yes, it doesn't seem to turn up that often --but does anyone actually know how many were printed? (Genuinely: does anyone?) If the print run was as for MR, or WotJ, or PoME --then there are many copies out there, and not that many people after them. This is not truly rare, just scarce to market.

Any bets another comes up really soon though; it always happens. (Although, with all this talk, it will probably go for more! )

BH

I would also not have had awareness of this copy prior to 2005/2006 or thereabouts, so wasn't looking prior to this. I'm also not too much of an eBay addict, so I'm certainly not on there all the time (but this is one of the books I do double-check for when I am on).

I'm not aware of any factual information regarding print numbers. I have posed the question before, but noone put their hand up with any information on this. Might be a question for David Brawn at some point.
The other important thing to remember about this book is it shares its ISBN with copies that do not have the same dust jacket, so there may be copies sold with stock photos that are indeed this specific edition, we just don't notice them.

Having said that, generally speaking if a non-consumable item is produced in large volumes it will turn up often on the second hand market, whilst if it is uncommon it will turn up rarely. It seems *unlikely* that this was produced in large numbers based on the evidence of the frequency that books of known print runs turn up. For instance we know the print run of PoME was quite large and it turns up all the time (despite sellers assertions of it being rare). With this one, anecdotally we seem not to have noticed it so often.

Stu
11 Jan, 2012
2012-1-11 7:25:49 AM UTC
A good debate and one I am sure will reappear in the future especially as you say Khamul if another copy comes for sale.
Interestingly if you take average over last 3-4 years these appear once every 11-12 months vs POME say 4-5+ per year. That is telling me something but a good question for David to be sure.

My hunt will continue
12 Jan, 2012
2012-1-12 8:19:09 PM UTC
Another one of the not very rare 2000 hardbacks on eBay.

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: samjanus1973
(56149)
Ended Jan 22, 2012
This item ended more than 90 days ago

12 Jan, 2012
2012-1-12 8:35:24 PM UTC
One just appeared on ebay

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: samjanus1973
(56149)
Ended Jan 22, 2012
This item ended more than 90 days ago

12 Jan, 2012
2012-1-12 10:55:59 PM UTC
Amazing! We start talking about it here --& one turns up...

BH
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us