Red
4 hours 40 minutes ago

tolkienbrasil
5 hours 59 minutes ago

Khamûl
6 hours 20 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún (Super Deluxe Edition 2009)
Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Not sure about the UK tax laws, but here in the States when they started counting inventory as assets (ie taxable) it made publishers do strange things like remaindering and pulping - cheaper than keeping the books in stock, which now has an annual cost. So if a book title isn't selling quickly, it may make sense to pulp rather than hold on to or remainder (which would flood the market and likely devalue future super-deluxe editions since collectors would just wait for them to go on remainder too).

Posted on: 2012/1/14 20:12

Home away from home
From Queenstown, New Zealand
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

Urulókë wrote:
Not sure about the UK tax laws, but here in the States when they started counting inventory as assets (ie taxable) it made publishers do strange things like remaindering and pulping - cheaper than keeping the books in stock, which now has an annual cost. So if a book title isn't selling quickly, it may make sense to pulp rather than hold on to or remainder (which would flood the market and likely devalue future super-deluxe editions since collectors would just wait for them to go on remainder too).

Could be. Seems a shame to pulp a perfectly good book, but that is the crazy messed-up world we live in. I think it more likely that they offloaded the S&Gs at a reduced price to BD and other retailers, though. CoH probably just finally sold out after 4+ years.

Edit: Using the totally crappy search with just "Hurin" as a keyword, the SuperDuluxe CoH does show up in the list and would appear to be still available. If you search for "Children of Hurin" it brings back about 100 results, the first page of which - at least - are completely irrelevant. Definitely can't find S&G though, but I would put money on that just being down to the website being a turd.

Posted on: 2012/1/14 20:31

Edited by Stu on 2012/1/14 21:57:25
Edited by Stu on 2012/1/14 21:58:21

Just can't stay away
Group:
Shirefolk

Edit: Book Depository has it for GBP 280 (might be cheaper if you are using a UK IP Address).

Thanks :) From my IP it is €318.19, which is around GBP263 right now.

Posted on: 2012/1/15 7:02

Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Before buying the Super-Deluxe Sigurd and Gudrun, read through all the comments on this thread first, it is not as well made an edition as COH.

http://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... =ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

Posted on: 2012/1/15 7:17

Edited by Trotter on 2012/1/15 8:40:25

Just can't stay away
Group:
Shirefolk
It's a shame the book was selling at the same price as COH but with only a cow leather binding instead of full morocco. Still think I'm going to buy it at the Bookdepository at the reduced price. I'm not prepared to wait another two years, though I think the price might go down to around GBP200 in due time. Thanks for the link to the old thread Trotter.

Posted on: 2012/1/15 8:11

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]