19 hours 56 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Question regarding the Pocket Hobbit
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Christopher Tolkien's preface in the "pocket edition" is a reprint of the text published in 2007, with a small change in pagination and the reproduction of Mirkwood. The 2007 text was revised and shortened, omitting the facsimile manuscript pages and the rest of the art printed earlier; presumably this was done because John Rateliff's History of The Hobbit was published that same year and included transcription from the earliest surviving manuscript as well as some comment on illustrations (for which one also could refer to our J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator).

Christopher's foreword (as it was first called) dates from the 50th anniversary Hobbit of 1987. It was revised and expanded in the deluxe edition of 2004, in which the manuscript facsimiles were printed in colour (they're in black and white in the 1987 edition). We reproduced Tolkien's illustrations in The Art of The Hobbit, but of the two pages of manuscript only the one with art on it (the early sketch of Thror's Map). John Rateliff also reproduced only the first of the two pages in his History.

A fuller comparison may be found in a new post on our blog.

The printing and binding of the "Pocket Hobbit" are perfectly good for an ordinary trade book, though of course the type (reduced from the standard edition) is somewhat small. Anyway, it doesn't include the full text of Christopher's foreword or the manuscript facsimiles.

Wayne & Christina

Posted on: 2012/2/18 16:00

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Thanks for that W&C! (--or should that be H&Sc?) I have just read your expanded explanation in your blog. Very interesting.

BH

Posted on: 2012/2/19 8:11

Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
I found the first printing yesterday in WH Smith in Oxford, surprised it is on sale in the UK, but nice to have both versions of the book

Attach file:

jpg  1st and 2nd Pocket Hobbits.jpg (366.61 KB)
10_50603acb02436.jpg 531X1685 px

Posted on: 2012/9/24 3:49

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
So the story about first impressions only shipping abroad would appear to be utter rubbish then...

BH

Posted on: 2012/9/24 3:55

Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Seems to be, and not good if you paid a lot of money to get it shipped back to the UK

Posted on: 2012/9/24 4:56

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]