Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

29 Jan, 2012
2012-1-29 9:43:41 AM UTC
Hmm... the phrase

"Please do not post links to other Tolkien information sites"

suggests that Faith considers his Facebook advertising page to be one which gives information on Tolkien...

No, it doesn't! All it does (apart from presumably making money for Faith with little or no outlay) is to offer mis-information on whatever items Faith has up for sale at any given time. One example of mis-information recently is his description of the
A & U 1976 de luxe Hobbit as being printed on 'Indian paper'. (sic)
29 Jan, 2012
2012-1-29 10:57:32 AM UTC
I almost hate to change the subject here.... Anyway, check out this bargain!

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: jrhbn
(9651)
Ended Feb 28, 2012
This item ended more than 90 days ago

29 Jan, 2012
2012-1-29 11:14:12 AM UTC
Yeh, quite a bit of MF bashing going on (Trotter & garm!) here. Do you two want to maybe start a new thread, or something? (--& keep it a little less personal?)

BH
29 Jan, 2012
2012-1-29 11:35:33 AM UTC
Elwe - thanks for that link. To quote the spiel -

"To start, I am not a JR Tolkien expert... This is the first book I am listing and the gem of the collection."

Personally I wouldn't have that book in the house. I can't fathom what some folk see in it.
29 Jan, 2012
2012-1-29 11:39:03 AM UTC
Now now garm --we don't want you starting on poor old AL (& EC/RL)...

BH
29 Jan, 2012
2012-1-29 11:50:23 AM UTC
I love the description on this one, and the evaluations(sic) have slightly overpriced it.

Any description that includes the words (all the pages are flimsy) is worth a mention

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/J-R-Tolkien ... ction&hash=item2a18df6c74

29 Jan, 2012
2012-1-29 11:58:40 AM UTC
I love the description on this one, and the evaluations(sic) have slightly overpriced it.

No slipcase, water (?) damage and I have to take a boat to pick it up. Anyway r.i.p. poor uncle.
29 Jan, 2012
2012-1-29 12:16:16 PM UTC

Khamul wrote:
Now now garm --we don't want you starting on poor old AL (& EC/RL)...

BH

Ok, I'll do it then seeing as Garm has been put under house arrest for unauthorised MF bashing.

The book in question is undoubtedly a turd and AL & EC/RL do really deserve a bit of a bashing for this and all their infractions over the years. The art of RL (generally) is one such infraction** and [allegedly] reviewing their own books is, of course, another.

S.

• However, I do accept that art is a matter of taste, so I certainly won't be calling for RL to be locked-up when my dream of creating a totalitarian brave new world (controlled by me) comes to fruition. I would probably be sentencing her to 6 months community service, though. Cor Blok would even be allowed to help her.

Just Jokes - I actually quite like Cor Blok.
29 Jan, 2012
2012-1-29 12:25:38 PM UTC
It would be nice to know who is posting derogatory remarks about me instead of cowardly hiding behind a nickname. Have I offended you personally in some way or wronged you? Why not contact me direct and we'll have it out. I obviously don't want links posted to my FB page which lead back to such remarks. Facebook has changed how you can contact your fans which we paid a lot of money for in advertising on FB. The comment read, posting without prior permission. If other commercial organisations want to promote to our fans then they can help pay our advertising.
29 Jan, 2012
2012-1-29 12:46:30 PM UTC
Stu wrote -

"AL & EC/RL do really deserve a bit of a bashing for this and all their infractions over the years. The art of RL (generally) is one such infraction** and [allegedly] reviewing their own books is, of course, another. "

Nothing alleged about it - Ruth/Elizabeth praised her own work in a letter to the bullettin of the Tolkien Society, Amon Hen (no.197, page 30.) Ruth is talking about Tom Bombadil and his place in Tolkien's writings, and finishes with:

'There's an excellent discussion of this (and much, much more...) in A. Lewis and E. Currie's book 'The Uncharted Realms of Tolkien', which has a chapter on Tom Bombadil... by far the longest , most detailed and thought-provoking analysis of the character that I have seen.
Yours, Ruth Lacon'.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us