Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

29 Jan, 2012
2012-1-29 11:50:23 AM UTC
I love the description on this one, and the evaluations(sic) have slightly overpriced it.

Any description that includes the words (all the pages are flimsy) is worth a mention

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/J-R-Tolkien ... ction&hash=item2a18df6c74

29 Jan, 2012
2012-1-29 11:58:40 AM UTC
I love the description on this one, and the evaluations(sic) have slightly overpriced it.

No slipcase, water (?) damage and I have to take a boat to pick it up. Anyway r.i.p. poor uncle.
29 Jan, 2012
2012-1-29 12:16:16 PM UTC

Khamul wrote:
Now now garm --we don't want you starting on poor old AL (& EC/RL)...

BH

Ok, I'll do it then seeing as Garm has been put under house arrest for unauthorised MF bashing.

The book in question is undoubtedly a turd and AL & EC/RL do really deserve a bit of a bashing for this and all their infractions over the years. The art of RL (generally) is one such infraction** and [allegedly] reviewing their own books is, of course, another.

S.

• However, I do accept that art is a matter of taste, so I certainly won't be calling for RL to be locked-up when my dream of creating a totalitarian brave new world (controlled by me) comes to fruition. I would probably be sentencing her to 6 months community service, though. Cor Blok would even be allowed to help her.

Just Jokes - I actually quite like Cor Blok.
29 Jan, 2012
2012-1-29 12:25:38 PM UTC
It would be nice to know who is posting derogatory remarks about me instead of cowardly hiding behind a nickname. Have I offended you personally in some way or wronged you? Why not contact me direct and we'll have it out. I obviously don't want links posted to my FB page which lead back to such remarks. Facebook has changed how you can contact your fans which we paid a lot of money for in advertising on FB. The comment read, posting without prior permission. If other commercial organisations want to promote to our fans then they can help pay our advertising.
29 Jan, 2012
2012-1-29 12:46:30 PM UTC
Stu wrote -

"AL & EC/RL do really deserve a bit of a bashing for this and all their infractions over the years. The art of RL (generally) is one such infraction** and [allegedly] reviewing their own books is, of course, another. "

Nothing alleged about it - Ruth/Elizabeth praised her own work in a letter to the bullettin of the Tolkien Society, Amon Hen (no.197, page 30.) Ruth is talking about Tom Bombadil and his place in Tolkien's writings, and finishes with:

'There's an excellent discussion of this (and much, much more...) in A. Lewis and E. Currie's book 'The Uncharted Realms of Tolkien', which has a chapter on Tom Bombadil... by far the longest , most detailed and thought-provoking analysis of the character that I have seen.
Yours, Ruth Lacon'.
29 Jan, 2012
2012-1-29 12:57:45 PM UTC
Mark, I actually do agree with you that putting a link back to this thread on your FB page was bad form, and I can personally see why you deleted it. It is your page, so you get to delete what you like - them's the rules. I think a correction posted to your page (rather than the thread link) would have sufficed - at which point you could obviously have corrected your initial post or left the correction in place.

Most of the posters on this site have forgotten more about Tolkien and his works than I have ever known (well actually, that isn't true - they haven't forgotten any of it), and there is perhaps a tendency for people to get more irate than strictly necessary when they see mis-information posted. Some of your own prior postings, coupled with emails that have ended up in the public domain have also perhaps made some of the regulars on this site feel a little less warmly towards you than they might otherwise have felt. The internet is like that - it is easy to irritate people with what you write, especially if you are careless with the words you choose.

Let's all just enjoy the books and try and learn from each other in peaceful co-existence :)

That said, eBay listing bashing really is fair game, I think. Excessively priced or inaccurate descriptions will always get noticed and commented upon, I suspect. After all, this thread is 85 pages long, and any seller is fair game if their listing doesn't stack up.

Peace,

Stu
29 Jan, 2012
2012-1-29 1:00:28 PM UTC

garm wrote:
Stu wrote -

"AL & EC/RL do really deserve a bit of a bashing for this and all their infractions over the years. The art of RL (generally) is one such infraction** and [allegedly] reviewing their own books is, of course, another. "

Nothing alleged about it - Ruth/Elizabeth praised her own work in a letter to the bullettin of the Tolkien Society, Amon Hen (no.197, page 30.) Ruth is talking about Tom Bombadil and his place in Tolkien's writings, and finishes with:

'There's an excellent discussion of this (and much, much more...) in A. Lewis and E. Currie's book 'The Uncharted Realms of Tolkien', which has a chapter on Tom Bombadil... by far the longest , most detailed and thought-provoking analysis of the character that I have seen.
Yours, Ruth Lacon'.

Yep, I just used the "allegedly" for legal reasons. Based on UK libel laws, you need to throw at least 5 "allegedlys" into every sentence. Allegedly.
29 Jan, 2012
2012-1-29 1:32:08 PM UTC
Stu, if that's a name, I'm not knowingly aware of inaccuracy I've posted, but I can say that many so called facts in the Tolkien book world aren't. It is simply because someone well known has said so and it can't be disproved. However if someone has taken some offense at one of my listings they should contact me so I can discuss it, not post derogatory public remarks about people behind their back. This is cowardly, childish and quite frankly this has no place in the Tolkien community. I am sick and tired of the behavior of many fans whom I find an insult to the memory of the great man. Many people agree with me and share the concern the future of Tolkien fandom is in question with this kind of childish behavior going on. While you may think its fair game to insult a seller or any person in public, I think it reflects badly on the person making the comments, not their target. Its actually not funny or humorous and it makes you look like an ass. I have complained to the owner of this site about the posts about me and I intend to make public that this sort of thing is going on here, not for my sake, but for the integrity of the Tolkien fan community which is in decline. Its always the little people, with little minds and little lives that have to bring down the endeavours of others to make themselves feel better. I'm sure the owner of this site didn't intend it be used for the exchanges I've seen here. They should take note as it does not reflect well on them or their business. I have made some public comments over some recent news in the community as people need to be aware of the facts and truth, for the sake of the Tolkien community. This doesn't mean childish insults and unfounded opinions from people who clearly have little else to do with their time.
29 Jan, 2012
2012-1-29 2:13:02 PM UTC

Mfaith wrote:
Stu, if that's a name, I'm not knowingly aware of inaccuracy I've posted, but I can say that many so called facts in the Tolkien book world aren't. It is simply because someone well known has said so and it can't be disproved. However if someone has taken some offense at one of my listings they should contact me so I can discuss it, not post derogatory public remarks about people behind their back. ..... .... for the sake of the Tolkien community. This doesn't mean childish insults and unfounded opinions from people who clearly have little else to do with their time.

Hi Mark,

If you look back through this thread, I think the comments that started this were relating to the posting of a small fact about a book set that was simply not correct. Like I said, IMHO I don't think it needed anything more than posting a correction on your page.

With regards to the taking of offence at eBay listings, there are thousands-upon-thousands of listings on eBay and a few catch the eye and get a bit of a ribbing (based on the product being poor, the information being poor, the price being crazy, etc). Good quality, well thought out listings at a reasonable buy-it-now or start price simply don't attract any attention. I don't think anyone is going out specifically looking for *your* listings to pick fault. This thread is about picking fault with *any* listing that catches the poster's eye as being not quite right in some way, even if only because the price is a "bit hopeful". Unfortunately, there are also many eBay sellers in the "Tolkien Game" that are out to take advantage of a buyer base which is - for the most part - poorly informed, and this thread helps expose some of that. Just to clarify, I'm not implying that you fall into this category.

You talk about childish remarks and behaviour, but respectful behaviour generally begets respectful behaviour. Yet your response to me talks about "little minds", "little lives", "little people" (indicating that these presumably apply to me), whilst my prior post (to you) was nothing other than polite and agreeing with you that this thread should not have been linked to your FB page (which - by the way was nothing to do with me - I didn't even know about your FB page until I read about it here in this thread).

With regards to the Tolkien community being in decline, if it is, then so be it. Nothing lasts for ever, and the world has far more important issues to deal with than whether Tolkien has enough fans. The Tolkien Estate has plenty of money and the issue of the size of the Tolkien fan base is so low on my radar that it does not register at all, and nor should it. Personally, I just want to enjoy the books, both for the content and for the physical form those books take.

And with regards to my not being funny or humorous (and looking like an ass). You are one third right - Actually, I am funny, humorous *and* an ass...

Again, let's all just live in peace - I won't be commenting further.

Regards,
S.
29 Jan, 2012
2012-1-29 3:42:50 PM UTC
Please don't feign innocence, you only dig yourself in deeper. I refer to other comments you have made about me in threads on this site. Its seems you find any of my posts on the internet "mildly irritating" Do you call this "living in peace" you hypocrite? if you are going to dish it out, prepare to get it back tenfold. However, going after a soft-targets like Ruth and Alex really pisses me off and shows what an ass you are. They don't make money out of their books, the circulation is too small. They have devoted their time to Tolkien societies and events probably before you were born. They are truly kind welcoming people and the right sort of fan. They do it all for the love of Tolkien. Anyone who knows them will forgive them an indiscretion. Tolkien book fandom is in declined because younger generations don't read. They prefer to watch films which takes far less effort on the limited grey cells. If you don;t care about the decline of Tolkien fandom, then why waste your valuable time on a Tolkien site like this? My comment stands, you obviously don't have much else to do with your life.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us