Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

1 May, 2009
2009-5-1 7:34:25 PM UTC
The date for the Super-Deluxe will not be announced until at least the 19th May and the Audio Book versions have been put back to the Autumn(Fall) of this year to add more content, according to an email received today from HarperCollins.

Andrew
4 May, 2009
2009-5-4 6:38:55 PM UTC
Here's a photo of the traycase for the Super Deluxe, in case anyone hadn't seen it yet. Pretty nice! Similar color to the '98 Deluxe Illustrated Silmarillion. (However, we all know how the marketing photos of the Super Deluxe CoH looked compared to the actual book - Beware of trick lighting!)

57_49ff362f39dba.jpg 567X756 px
4 May, 2009
2009-5-4 6:59:42 PM UTC
Thanks for posting! I hadn't seen that yet.
4 May, 2009
2009-5-4 8:17:52 PM UTC
Yes, the photo was in an email I received from HC exclaiming,

"We are extending the pre-order period until 20th May to allow you more time to reserve your copy of this historic edition of Tolkien's undiscovered masterpiece."

Wow! They have been so generous in affording me this extra time to pre-order! How can I thank them enough? Oh, that's how! By sending them 250GBP per book. I'll take two for that price!

(That sad thing, beneath my sarcasm, is that I had already pre-ordered two copies. )
6 May, 2009
2009-5-6 4:47:10 PM UTC
I got my Deluxe Edition today and it does not really look like Stu's Picture.

In fact it is very similiar to the other Deluxe Editions, The Tolkien Logo is the same as on on The Hobbit, LOTR, Children of Hurin, etc. (i.e. not circled), there is no underline between J.R.R. Tolkien and "The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun".

The colour of the binding is also the same as the slipcase in the picture, not the darker book colour.

Also, according to Amazon, the deluxe (or special as it also seems to be called) edition will contain a facsimile page of Tolkien's original manuscript. The regular edition will not contain this.

The regular edition does contain this page
8 May, 2009
2009-5-8 1:31:48 AM UTC
I'm wondering of the picture actually shows a standard edition in a deluxe slipcase(?) Perhaps it was a mockup picture taken before the actual deluxes were printed?

Still, good to hear that the new book matches the others. Looking forward to getting an Amazon delivery in the next couple of weeks!

Stu
8 May, 2009
2009-5-8 5:40:34 AM UTC
I'm wondering of the picture actually shows a standard edition in a deluxe slipcase(?)

Yes, that is exactly what is shown in the picture, I didn't spot that.

I had time this morning to take some pictures of the actual book.

10_4a03c56fb98e3.jpg 821X768 px

10_4a03c584904d0.jpg 1024X768 px

10_4a03c5942781b.jpg 1024X768 px

10_4a03c5a40585c.jpg 1024X768 px

10_4a03c5b947b58.jpg 465X1024 px

10_4a03c5c8a23bb.jpg 628X1024 px
8 May, 2009
2009-5-8 12:23:49 PM UTC
Great photos, Trotter. I have been curious to see the book, but have to wait a few more days for mine to arrive in the US. Amazon.co.uk says not until May 15, but I am hopeful it will be at least a little earlier. Anyway, thanks for posting!

I'm relieved to see that it matches the other books better than had been expected. Do you think that Harper Collins needs to hear some feedback regarding their photos? It seems that they consistently release photos of their new deluxe editions that are slightly misleading. I know that many were disappointed when the Super Deluxe CoH did not really look like the photos they posted, and the photos for this book in particular, might deter people who want it to match the rest of their set (not realizing, of course, that it really does match). I know that there are always clammorings for 'sneak-peeks' at the new editions, but if I were David Brawn, I would not release marketing photos until I had something that was accurately representative.
8 May, 2009
2009-5-8 12:28:12 PM UTC
One more thought..... from a discussion earlier in this thread.

It looks like the final version does incorporate the same flat spine and thinner slipcase boards as the TftPR. Judging from Trotter's photos, I would guess that it was put together by the same binders as the TftPR. Can this be confirmed?
8 May, 2009
2009-5-8 1:53:57 PM UTC
It looks like the final version does incorporate the same flat spine and thinner slipcase boards as the TftPR. Judging from Trotter's photos, I would guess that it was put together by the same binders as the TftPR. Can this be confirmed?

Yes it is Clays who also printed TftPR.

Do you think that Harper Collins needs to hear some feedback regarding their photos? It seems that they consistently release photos of their new deluxe editions that are slightly misleading. I know that many were disappointed when the Super Deluxe CoH did not really look like the photos they posted, and the photos for this book in particular, might deter people who want it to match the rest of their set (not realizing, of course, that it really does match). I know that there are always clammorings for 'sneak-peeks' at the new editions, but if I were David Brawn, I would not release marketing photos until I had something that was accurately representative.

What they have done again makes no sense at all, the current tolkien.co.uk web site shows an incorrect picture of the Deluxe Edition of the book, I could probably sue HarperCollins in respect of the book that I have received does not match the picture on the web site. It is much better but?

If anyone reading this has any HC contacts, I have already suggested that they set up a commitee of Tolkien Fans (from this board) which they speak to about new issues, the web site tolkien.co.uk (which is very poor, how to improve, etc.) and anything else, I really think that having feedback from 100% Tolkien Fans would help the company.

I wish someone from HarperCollins would post on this board to discuss the issues that are raised.

Andrew
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us