(1) 2 3 »

2004 Deluxe Edition reprints
Home away from home
From Queenstown, New Zealand
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Hi All,

I noticed that HarperCollins sent out an email stating that the Deluxe Hobbit and LOTR are back in stock. Does anyone happen to know if these are new printings (i.e. 4th for LOTR and 2nd for The Hobbit) and - if so - whether they have been reprinted by LEGO Spa or if Clays (or someone else) have done the honours this time around? More than anything, I'm interested whether they are different than earlier printings (in the same way that the later books in the series have differed in various ways).

Cheers
Stu

PS. Happy Non-Denominationally-Specific-Festive-Season to everyone. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading all the posts this year.

Posted on: 2009/12/22 17:40

Re: 2004 Deluxe Edition reprints
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Hello
I asked them that same question and to date havent received a reply! If anyone hears would be interested as well.

Happy Christmas to all especially Dr Higgins.

Posted on: 2009/12/23 0:01

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
We too would like to know if our later corrections and the new index, and the correct facsimile Ring inscription in Book I, Chapter 2, have been included in the deluxe Lord of the Rings back in stock -- or were they already in the second or third printing, if a new printing would be a fourth? As editors and collectors we got the first printing, but haven't heard anything about what has come later for the deluxe. (We've bought some later, updated printings of the trade edition when in England.)

The new index of course is longer than the old one, and adding pages would add bulk to the book, which would affect the special binding case and slipcase, so looking at it from the point of view of economy, we suspect that the current deluxe printing is the same as the first -- but one never knows.

We also put this question to HarperCollins the other day, not however expecting a reply until January.

And now we're wondering as well if the Houghton Mifflin LR has been reprinted, with or without corrections. In bookshops it's always shrinkwrapped, so there's no way to check when browsing.

Best wishes to all for the holidays,

Wayne and Christina

Posted on: 2009/12/24 6:22

Just can't stay away
From Tolkien Society Unquendor in the Netherlands
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
My copy of the HC Deluxe LR (bought about a year ago) is a 2nd printing, it has the additional corrections (including Fréaláf, hamfæst, swift falcon) and the right Ring inscription, but still the old index.

Posted on: 2009/12/27 11:55

Just popping in
Group:
Shirefolk
Hi all- sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm wondering if this question/issue ever got resolved?

I know the first print of this edition of The Hobbit was like 4,000, so is there any way to tell the difference between the later printings? Most the stuff I see is shrinkwrapped (as mentioned above), so just curious if anyone knows. Thanks in advance for any replies!

Posted on: 2013/9/20 8:22

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]