Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

13 May, 2010 (edited)
2010-5-13 10:12:10 PM UTC
I just got back to the real world today and my copy was waiting for me in the office. It has the same typo as others have noted (which is to be expected as it would have come from the same batch, given that I ordered on the first day).

Overall, I think the quality is really quite impressive for a POD (bar the glaring typo).

The boards look fine and the DJ also looks good, my only comment would be that the dot-density is a little lower than a traditionally printed DJ, so close up inspection reveals the printing technique slightly. The spine is very square, as per the last few volumes of the original printings of HoME (edit: on comparision, more so than the originals. Care is needed to ensure the DJ doesn't get pulled tight against the hard edge of the spine or it will get an annoying crease. I have covered mine with a brodart, protector which should help a bit in this regard).

For the Index at least, I think they have done a pretty good job (edit: especially given how few of these will really be sold). For the other 12 volumes (bar the last two or three which are expensive), I would always try and just acquire them second hand, rather than spend 40 pounds a-piece for the PODs, though.

I'd be interested to hear a review from someone who has purchased a volume containing colour plates.

Edit: Probably also worth mentioning that the gold lines, logo and writing are not "metallic", as per the original.

Stu
15 May, 2010
2010-5-15 6:44:19 AM UTC
I noticed that Tom Shippey's "J.R.R. Tolkien Author of the Century" has been issued as a print-on-demand paperback on the 7th May 2010. I am surprised that they did not reissue the hardback version.

http://www.tolkien.co.uk/titles/58197 ... tom-shippey-9780261104013
15 May, 2010
2010-5-15 8:03:47 AM UTC
Got my index today- same typo error as previously mentioned.
Pleased wiht looks overall
Has anyone raised error with Harper Collins at all?
15 May, 2010
2010-5-15 8:05:08 AM UTC
ignore last post - just seen jeremys comments previously!
Sorry must get some more black coffee in me pre typing !
17 May, 2010
2010-5-17 4:46:40 PM UTC
Got my copy today with no ISBN and the wrong font used for HarperCollins and the date , according to David Brawn at HC, they have stopped sending out Print-on-Demand books until the issue is resolved, looks like the printers sent them out to early before proof copies were sent to HC.

David is sending me another copy after an email of complaint, which is just as well, because my copy was bound upside down.
17 May, 2010
2010-5-17 5:11:22 PM UTC
David Brawn told me that about 30 copies of the Index were sent out with issues (mostly the publication and ISBN information, but it sounds like Trotter had a binding error as well). HC will replace any copies of the Index that were misprinted if you want to return them. No other volumes in the HoME were affected with issues like this according to him.
17 May, 2010
2010-5-17 7:05:30 PM UTC
But why do I have to return it?!

David Brawn should know better. There's only 30 or so of us; can we not just have a replacement & keep the misprinted copies?

Trotter, if you've finished complaining ( ), can I ask --are you returning your mis-bound copy?

Also, Jeremy, these misprints; are we definitely just talking about the Index? Has anyone on the forum actually ordered any other volumes?

BH
17 May, 2010 (edited)
2010-5-17 7:35:33 PM UTC
HC did not ask me to return my copy when I initially complained, just said they would send me a replacement copy.

David Brawn does now want my copy back so that he can have a go at Martins for sending it out, though I'm thinking I'd like to keep it, as it is probably a unique copy, may send him photos of the book instead. I decided to send it back as I'm keen to see these Print On Demand books succeed.

It looks like only the Index has so far been ordered which is why this problem is not on other books, it would have affected any of the books.
17 May, 2010
2010-5-17 9:47:42 PM UTC
Hmm, it's hard to know whether it is best to keep the faulty copy or to get a replacement. I'm tempted to keep the faulty one as the typo distinguishes these as being the only kind of "first print" that this book will ever have (and we know there are only 30 of them). What is everyone else planning to do (keep or return?).

Stu
18 May, 2010
2010-5-18 12:17:50 PM UTC
It would be interesting to see a picture of the Index page with the typo, if someone could post one.

We have not yet tried to order the Index or any of the other HOME print-on-demand titles, waiting to see how this all shakes out.

Wayne and Christina
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us