2023-7-17 2:50:51 PM UTC

First Edition Hardback Hobbits (US)

IMG_9189.jpeg

HMCO Hobbit 4th State in Facsimile Dust Jacket
Image from the collection under The Hill

IMG_9190.jpeg

HMCO Hobbit 4th State in Facsimile Dust Jacket

“I send herewith the coloured version of the frontispiece. If you think it good enough, you may send it on to the Houghton Mifflin Co. Could you at the same time make it finally clear to them (It does not seem easy): that the first three drawings were not illustrations to 'the Hobbit', but only samples: they cannot be used for that book, and may now be returned. Also that the ensuing five drawings (four and now one) were specially made for the H.M.Co, and for 'the Hobbit'. They are, of course, at liberty to reject or use all or any of these five. But I would point out that they are specially selected so as to distribute illustration fairly evenly throughout the book (especially when taken in conjunction with the black-and-white drawings).” Carpenter #15: Letter from J.R.R. Tolkien to C.A. Furth (Allen & Unwin) • 31 August 1937 (#15)

Hobbits banner photo.jpeg

HMCO Hobbits States 1-4c (top row 1,2,3 / bottom row 4a,4b,4c)
Image from the collection of LanceFormation

This article is an introduction to the first US hardback printings of The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien, published between 1938 and 1944 in the US by Houghton Mifflin Co. There is only one printing as per the copyright pages, but different states within the first printing have been determined based upon various factors including cloth used and text block errors….Hammond & Anderson in their descriptive bibliography, refer to these variations as "states" within the "first printing", and recorded only two: one with the bowing hobbit on the title page, and one with the seated flautist, though additional states have been identified since the bibliography publication. Houghton Mifflin's practice was to place the publication year at the foot of the title page for the first printings of its first editions.

All first edition Hobbit copies, of all variations, with or without the bowing hobbit of the first printing, show "1938" as the date on the title page, perhaps discouraging bibliographers from ascribing different printings to them. This article does not cover the 1937 UK Hobbit, for more information see First Edition Hardback Hobbits (UK).

1938 Houghton Mifflin Co. Dust-jacket and endpapers

IMG_9192.jpeg

HMCO 1st Edition Facsimile Dust Jacket

Hobbit 1st state front endpaper.jpeg

HMCO Hobbit 1st State Front Endpaper Wilderland Map

Hobbit 1st state back endpaper.jpeg

HMCO Hobbit 1st State Rear Endpaper Thror Map

Houghton Mifflin published the first American edition of The Hobbit in the spring of 1938 following its September, 1937 debut in the UK. For this first edition Houghton Mifflin printed the sheets in the United States. They chose to print it in a larger size and on heavier stock than George Allen & Unwin's first edition, and they included four color plates of Tolkien's original artwork. The editors did this, because they thought that Tolkien’s design for the book was “too British” and were worried about sales numbers if they were to publish that version.

Margins are ample and the typesetting is well crafted for readability. The lettering on the cloth cover is printed in deep blue. The bowing hobbit emblem on the front and the dwarf's hood emblem on the spine are filled with bright red. The artist who designed these artworks for the boards appears to have been anonymous or the archival info has been lost by Houghton Mifflin. The end-paper maps were printed in red only, instead of the black and red chosen by George Allen & Unwin. Houghton Mifflin mistakenly put the Wilderland map in front and the Lonely Mountain map in back, the reverse of the description in the text. This was corrected with later states. All printings of the first edition measure 15.0 x 21.0 cm. They contain 310 numbered pages.

1938 Houghton Mifflin Co. Hobbit 1st State

Hobbit 1st State jacket front .jpeg

HMCO Hobbit 1st State Front Dust Jacket Cover

Hobbit 1st state jacket back.jpeg

HMCO Hobbit 1st State Back Dust Jacket Cover

Hobbit 1st state jacket spine.jpeg

HMCO Hobbit 1st State Dust Jacket Spine

Hobbit 1st state jacket flap.jpeg

HMCO Hobbit 1st State Front Jacket Flap

Hobbit 1st state jacket flap back.jpeg

HMCO Hobbit 1st State Rear Jacket Flap

Surviving dust-jackets on the first edition are rare. There is some debate as to whether that is because of attrition, because some states were not jacketed, or because lots directed to some markets did not come with jackets, or that many were given to libraries. What is known is that jackets have been reported on more than one of the states and most commonly on the first state. The jacket is a deep blue field all around. The front displays the title in white, beneath which appears, in color and framed in red, Tolkien's illustration of Hobbiton. The reverse displays Tolkien's illustration of Smaug on his hoard, also in color. These 1st state copies show the same bowing hobbit emblem on the title page as is visible on the cover, but in outline. The first state appeared on March 1, 1938. This earliest state also has no half-title page. The first state’s table of illustrations lists Thrór's map as the front endpaper, in accordance with the text (page 30) but contradicting the actual order. The later states of the first edition list the Wilderland map as the front endpaper, in accordance with the actual order but contradicting the text.

Hobbit 1st state book.jpeg

HMCO Hobbit 1st State Front Cover

Hobbit 1st state spine.jpeg

HMCO Hobbit 1st State Spine

Hobbit 1st state title page.jpeg

HMCO Hobbit 1st State Title Page

Hobbit 1st state copyright page.jpeg

HMCO Hobbit 1st State Copyright Page

Hobbit 1st state 2 variants.jpeg

Two HMCO Hobbit First State Binding Variants

Title Page Emblem: Bowing Hobbit
Half Title Page: Not Present
Book Cloth: Yellowish-tan with slight greenish cast. Even color, tight weave in both directions.
Error on page 118 (chapter 6)
IllustrationTable: List’s Thror’s map in front

1938 Houghton Mifflin Co. Hobbit 2nd State

Hobbit 2nd state front.jpeg

HMCO Hobbit 2nd State Front Cover

Hobbit 2nd State title page.jpeg

HMCO Hobbit 2nd State Title Page

Printed in November, 1938. A series of changes to the book suggest Houghton Mifflin printed the first edition several times in a short period. At some point the publisher replaced the emblem on the title page with a seated flutist. The first two states mistakenly identify Chapter VII as Chapter VI on page 118. A side note regarding the bowing Hobbit emblem: some have stated that the boots the hobbit wears conflicted with the text's description of a bare-footed hobbit, which caused Houghton Mifflin to replace it. Yet the device comes directly from Tolkien's picture of Bilbo bowing to Smaug on his horde of treasure from that chapter of the book that contains their conversation. Tolkien defended the boots to an astute reader by explaining that Bilbo had acquired them along the way.

Hobbit 2nd state copyright page.jpeg

HMCO Hobbit 2nd State Copyright Page

Hobbit 2nd state chapter 6.jpeg

HMCO Hobbit 2nd State Printing Error Pg. 118

Title page emblem: Flautist
Half title page: Present
Book Cloth: Yellowish-tan with slight greenish cast. Even color, tight weave in both directions.
Error on page 118 (chapter 6)
Illustration Table: List’s Thror’s Map in back

1938 Houghton Mifflin Co. Hobbit 3rd State

Hobbit 3rd state front.jpeg

HMCO Hobbit 3rd State Front Cover

Hobbit 3rd state correct chapter 7.jpeg

HMCO Hobbit 3rd State with Corrected Chapter Number Pg. 118

Also printed in November, 1938. As stated earlier, at some point the publisher replaced the emblem on the title page with a seated flutist. The first two states mistakenly identify Chapter VII as Chapter VI on page 118, a defect corrected in the third. The binding cloth changes slightly in color and texture in step with other changes. Records seen at Houghton Mifflin indicate two batches of printings in 1938, 5,000 and 2,500 volumes respectively. It is unclear which batches refer to which states.

Book Cloth: Neutral light tan, the lightest amongst the group. Tight weave
Corrected page 118 (chapter 7)

1938 Houghton Mifflin Co. Hobbit 4th State

Hobbit 4a state.jpeg

HMCO Hobbit 4th State, Variant A Front Cover

Hobbit 4b state.jpeg

HMCO Hobbit 4th State, Variant B Front Cover

Hobbit 4c state.jpeg

HMCO Hobbit 4th State, Variant C Front Cover

Printed in the 1940’s, Three variants of the 4th state have been laid out by keen observers, including, Steven Frisby, and Daan Strebe based on damaged type not seen in the earlier states. These have been identified as 4A,B,&C and there is some speculation that these 4th States may have been in print as early as 1942, based on records kept, owners inscriptions, and or library stamps seen. Each variant can be identified by two main factors; binding and type flaws.

4th State, Variant A, Earliest Confirmed Date, September, 1944
Book Cloth: Slightly darker than the 3rd state; very faint pinkish cast in some light. Even weave.

4th State, Variant B, Earliest Confirmed Date, December, 1942
Book Cloth: Variegated darker tan, lacking any greenish or yellowish pall. Linen-like weave.

4th State, Variant C, printing date unknown at this time.
Book Cloth: Similar to the 1st and 2nd state, but more of a yellow color.

The following table seeks to provide a handy guide to identifying which variant of the 4th state you might have by listing out type flaws and which variants have them. Data is based primarily on the work of Daan Strebe. This can be used in conjunction with the binding style.

IMG_9188.jpeg

IMG_9196.jpeg

Hobbit pg 193.jpeg

HMCO Hobbit 4th State Printing Error Pg. 193

Hobbit pg 193(2).jpeg

HMCO Hobbit 4th State Printing Error Pg. 193

Hobbit pg 205.jpeg

HMCO Hobbit 4th State Printing Error Pg. 205

1st Edition Library Binds

Hobbit LB 1.jpeg

HMCO Hobbit 1st Edition Bowing Hobbit Library Bind

There were also many library bindings done for the 1938 US Hobbit. As can be seen above and below. These were sold to libraries across the United States in the 1930’s and 40’s and or done by the librarians themselves. Pictured are various binds of various states.

Hobbit LB Group.jpeg

Various HMCO 1st Edition Library Binds and Rebinds

Home Project Binds

IMG_9193.jpeg

HMCO Hobbit 4th State, Homemade Rebind Front Cover

IMG_9195.jpeg

HMCO Hobbit 4th State, Homemade Rebind Spine

IMG_9194.jpeg

HMCO Hobbit 4th State, Homemade Rebind Back Cover

There are also some home project binds that have come to light in recent years. I myself have one of these in my possession as can be seen above. This particular 4th state was owned by a college professor in the New Hampshire area for many years who also did bookbinding as a hobby. As can be seen above, he removed the boards and endpaper maps, as the book had belonged to his children and had been read many times, and he added new boards but kept the spine and page block intact. I’m sure there are more home project binds in the wild out there.

Advertisements

IMG_9197.jpeg

Binding of The Hornbook Magazine, Nov.-Dec. 1938

IMG_9199.jpeg

Cover of the Christmas 1938 issue of The Hornbook

IMG_9198.jpeg

Advert for The Hobbit from the Christmas 1938 issue of The Hornbook

There was an ad published in the Fall of 1938 in the HornBook, a book of various adverts and other small scale publications in the 1930's. Houghton Mifflin was again taking some liberties with artwork and the way Bilbo is presented. It includes a couple of quotes about the book as well.

Conclusions

The early United States editions of The Hobbit were published by the Houghton Mifflin Company of Boston and New York City and are particularly collectible but difficult to identify. Very roughly, earlier printings are valued more than later. In particular, the first edition, with its different account of Riddles in the Dark, is in great demand. The unusual binding and rarity of the dust jacket in good shape is a particular driver in the higher price of these.

A very big thank you to LanceFormation for providing images for 95% of the article. He is, in fact, the Mayor of Mickel Delving.

Works Cited
J.R.R. Tolkien A Descriptive Bibliography - Wayne G. Hammond with the assistance of Douglas A. Anderson (Oak Knoll)
The Art of The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien - Wayne G. Hammond & Christina Scull
The Annotated Hobbit - Douglas A. Anderson
Frisby, Steven M. (October 2009). "Identifying First and Second Edition Printings of the Houghton Mifflin Hobbit". The Tolkien Collector (30): 16–32
English Language Editions of The Hobbit - Wiki Page
Berelach's Tolkienbooks.us - 1938 Hobbits

TCG Hobbit Articles

17 Jul, 2023
2023-7-17 3:03:21 PM UTC
Very nice article, Mr. Underhill !
17 Jul, 2023
2023-7-17 3:29:29 PM UTC
Great article Mr. Underhill. Very useful to work out which state the book is, and I really like the different library bindings.

I think it is also worth mentioning that the book has a different coloured illustration to the 1937 UK second impression, and that HmCo modified the illustrations for the book to remove the frame with the illustration title on it.

The Mirkwood illustration was changed as well, looks like it was re-engraved by a HmCo illustrator from the 1937 UK original.
17 Jul, 2023
2023-7-17 4:11:56 PM UTC
For those curious as to the scarcity of each state, I have some info based on the number of 1938 Hobbits in my possession.

Bucketing the various states that I own and grouping all the various 4th states together (as the 4ths have no major text block changes…and one could even roll the 4th states in to the 3rd state), the data leans towards the 2nd state as being the hardest to find:

State / Count

1st / 19

2nd / 3

3rd / 26

4a / 2
4b / 13
4c / 4
[sum of 4th states=19]

Total: 67

(A caveat on the data: I tended over the years to buy 1938 Hobbits as they came up (but with limits due to price, condition, or just my circumstances at the time.) So there is some purchasing bias in what I have. But, I will say that if I saw a 1938 Hobbit 2nd state I always tried to acquire it. Only 2 or 3 “got away.” So, in all my years, I have really only seen a few 2nd states up for sale as compared to the other states.)

I don’t know if the data suggests less 2nd states were published, or there is some survivability issue with 2nd states (although I don’t know any particular reason why that would be assuming all things equal across states), or they are misidentified in listings, etc.

So, I would say that a 2nd state could be “rarer” than a 1st state...and suggest grabbing a 2nd state if you can. But, if you don’t have any 1938 Hobbits in your collection, I would still prioritize buying a 1st state first.
17 Jul, 2023
2023-7-17 4:39:38 PM UTC
And speaking of variants, within the 1st state there appear to be 2 variants in the board cloth weave. This was shown in the article images, but not mentioned in the text.

Looking at the attached photo of two 1st states side by side, there’s the typical tight weave found in most 1st states (left) and then there is a ribbed variant found in a few (right). (This variant was also mentioned in Wayne Hammond’s Bibliography.)

So something to watch for…

5090_64b56e530e293.jpeg 1290X1631 px
17 Jul, 2023
2023-7-17 5:26:43 PM UTC
Thanks, great to see the photos with the text together.
Have used the article to place my only copy as a 3rd state. The front board looks a bit more yellow than the one listed, but lacks any of the text variants listed for the 4th state.
Rob

5478_64b5799de6af8.jpg 4000X3000 px

5478_64b579ac58512.jpg 4000X3000 px
17 Jul, 2023
2023-7-17 5:32:34 PM UTC

wheresrob wrote:

Thanks, great to see the photos with the text together.
Have used the article to place my only copy as a 3rd state. The front board looks a bit more yellow than the one listed, but lacks any of the text variants listed for the 4th state.
Rob

wheresrob I tend to use the text primarily to ID the state. The cloth weave and color as a backup. The problem is the cloth color can change over time and make it hard to use in identification. Plus the images posted of the covers (including mine) were probably not all consistent in lighting, etc., adding to the difficulty.
17 Jul, 2023
2023-7-17 5:37:39 PM UTC
Once again, thanks to LanceFormation for all the photos and his valuable insights. I couldn't have written it without him.

Also, thanks to Trotter for the comment about the HMCO engraving.
17 Jul, 2023
2023-7-17 5:38:29 PM UTC
wheresrob, awesome. I was hoping the table would be helpful for collectors.
17 Jul, 2023
2023-7-17 6:03:02 PM UTC
The re-engraving of Mirkwood is very good and at first glance they look very similar, but they are different, and for some reason they did not chop the frame off the bottom.

UK Mirkwood.JPG

1937 UK 2nd impression Mirkwood

US Mirkwood.JPG

1938 US 3rd state Mirkwood

Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us