(1) 2 »

Facebook login
Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
It seems that I never posted an announcement for the Facebook login option yet, but I see that quite a few people have used it now, so better late than never!

Using the Facebook login button allows you access to all of the member functions here on TolkienGuide.com without having to create and remember a separate login account specifically for this site.

TolkienGuide does not ask for or need permission to read your Facebook posts or make posts on Facebook on your behalf. One member function available to TolkienGuide members is to receive email notifications when new posts are made on topics you are following - because of this, when you give permission to TolkienGuide to see your basic Facebook profile information (name, profile photo), it also asks for your email address.

Once you have logged in to TolkienGuide with Facebook, you can go to your profile page ("View Account" button on the left side menu) and change your display name, profile picture, and email address that were imported from Facebook. This data is only imported once from Facebook upon creation of your TolkienGuide account, so if you later change your Facebook profile those changes will not be reflected on TolkienGuide.

If you already have a login account on TolkienGuide (username/password) and then log in via Facebook, you will end up with two TolkienGuide accounts. I can easily manually merge these two into a single account if you send me a message.

Just to summarize - this is not a full integration with Facebook, nor is it necessary to have a Facebook account to use TolkienGuide. This is just adding an easy way for more people to get the full value of TolkienGuide without needing to remember yet another account username and password.

Posted on: 1/9 10:31:18

Re: Facebook login
Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Jeremy, as I mentioned previously, I'm still frequently being logged out. I access this site as before, not via Facebook. Pretty much every time I visit I have to password enter. Are you putting the "keep me logged on" option back in place?

BH

Posted on: 1/10 12:33:26

Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Hi Khamûl,

yes, that feature is coming back, sorry for the inconvenience! Removing it had nothing to do with the Facebook addition, the code behind it was broken for other reasons and is in the middle of a re-write.

Posted on: 1/10 12:36:17

Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Hi Khamûl (and everyone else),

The "remember me" functionality is re-implemented and working again as far as I have been able to test. It only works if you are using a TCG login account (does not apply to Facebook logins, as those are managed by Facebook as to how long the tokens are good for).

If you check the "remember me" box when you log in, you will not have to log in again yourself unless you do not return to the site within four weeks.

I still want to make it a little better, so if you have feedback or issues please do let me know!

Posted on: 4/8 23:08:32

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Right Jeremy, I had to log in again today. I've ticked "remember me" as usual, so let's see how long before it logs me out again...

BH

Posted on: 4/11 12:34:39

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.