Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

2 Aug, 2023
2023-8-2 9:47:53 PM UTC
Are there any EU or UK websites where "Tolkien's Faith" can be preordered from? Neither Amazon.co.uk or Blackwells.co.uk or any EU site I usually order from have it listed at the moment.
3 Aug, 2023 (edited)
2023-8-3 2:52:28 AM UTC

ToTheBottleIGo wrote:

Are there any EU or UK websites where "Tolkien's Faith" can be preordered from? Neither Amazon.co.uk or Blackwells.co.uk or any EU site I usually order from have it listed at the moment.

tolkien weekend.jpg

Just as an FYI to Catholic UK folks (or any who might be especially interested in Ordway's book Tolkien's Faith), the Birmingham Oratory will be hosting a "Tolkien Weekend" in honor of the 50th Anniversary of Tolkien's death (September 2nd) and the release of Ordway's book. On September 1st, Ordway will give a talk, "Home in the Highest: Tolkien's Faith and the Birmingham Oratory" and will have copies of her book available for purchase. Presumably this would be a good event to get her to sign books as well. On September 2nd, the Oratory will have a Latin Requiem Mass for Tolkien, followed by a talk by Oratorian priest Fr. Richard Duncan entitled "A Fundamentally Religious and Catholic Work: J.R.R. Tolkien and The Lord of the Rings."

https://www.birminghamoratory.org.uk/t ... eekend-1st-2nd-september/
3 Aug, 2023
2023-8-3 7:40:00 AM UTC
Merci beaucoup.
3 Aug, 2023
2023-8-3 9:20:55 AM UTC
3 Aug, 2023 (edited)
2023-8-3 10:35:48 PM UTC
Tolkien's Faith: A Spiritual Biography

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated

Word on Fire Academic (2023-08-30)

$35.68 Blackwell's (hardback) - Availability: Usually dispatched within 7 days
$26.84 Amazon.com (Hardcover) - Availability: Now
£24.37 Amazon.co.uk (Hardcover) - Availability: Now
€36.87 Amazon.de (Gebundene Ausgabe) - Availability: Now
$23.53 AbeBooks - Availability: Click to check
$22.95 eBay US - Availability: Click to check
14 Aug, 2023
2023-8-14 5:06:31 PM UTC
Tolkien's Faith: A Spiritual Biography | Interview with Author Dr. Holly Ordway

Tea with Tolkien interviews Dr. Holly Ordway, author of Tolkien's Modern Reading and now Tolkien's Faith: A Spiritual Biography, to discuss how Tolkien's Catholic faith shaped his own life as well as Middle-earth.

Word on Fire Academic (2023-08-30)

$35.68 Blackwell's (hardback) - Availability: Usually dispatched within 7 days
$26.84 Amazon.com (Hardcover) - Availability: Now
£24.37 Amazon.co.uk (Hardcover) - Availability: Now
€36.87 Amazon.de (Gebundene Ausgabe) - Availability: Now
$23.53 AbeBooks - Availability: Click to check
$22.95 eBay US - Availability: Click to check

27 Aug, 2023
2023-8-27 11:19:14 AM UTC
Beowulf: Translation and Commentary

Translation by Tom Shippey, edited by Leonard Neidorf

Beowulf Shippey.jpg

Beowulf, composed around 700 A.D., is the first great epic poem in the English language. It tells the timeless story of a hero’s fight against monsters and sets it against a complex background of political intrigue and tribal warfare. Situated in sixth-century Scandinavia, the poem brings to life a magnificent world that fuses history with fantasy.

Tom Shippey’s new translation of Beowulf, reflecting a lifetime of engagement with the poem,makes its story clearer and more compelling than it has ever been. The original Old English text of Beowulf is included along with an extensive and innovative commentary, which guides the reader passage-by-passage through the poem and its criticism.

In addition to the text, translation, and commentary, this volume contains an extensive bibliography, a translator’s preface, and an appended essay by Tom Shippey on “Tolkien and Beowulf—A Lifelong Involvement.”

Beowulf: Translation and Commentary (Hardback)

Uppsala Books (2023-08-18)

$48.00 AbeBooks - Availability: Click to check

27 Aug, 2023 (edited)
2023-8-27 1:17:04 PM UTC
Tolkien on Chaucer, 1913-1959 by John M. Bowers, Peter Steffensen

Tolkien on Chaucer, 1913-59 traces J. R. R. Tolkien's critical engagements with Geoffrey Chaucer from his undergraduate Oxford essays in 1913 to remarks in his retirement lecture in 1959. Reprinted with both Tolkien's own annotations and new notes from the authors, this book analyses his major articles such as ^"Chaucer as a Philologist: The Reeve's Tale", as well as his unpublished edition of the Reeve's Tale and his lectures on the Clerk's Tale and the Pardoner's Tale. Though his scholarship was best known for his work on Beowulf, Tolkien was also an expert on Geoffrey Chaucer. He lectured on Chaucer, edited Chaucer, and published essays on Chaucer. Tolkien on Chaucer, 1913-59 reprints many of these works for the first time, and documents Tolkien's career-long engagement with the poet and traces his influence in Tolkien's own works. Bowers and Steffensen reveal how the Reeve's Tale was a source for Tolkien's description of Merry and Pippin's battle with Saruman, and how the Pardoner's Tale influenced Tolkien's own story of men fighting to the death over a gold treasure. Chaucer emerges as a major source of inspiration for Tolkien's creative writings and profoundly formative in the creation of The Lord of the Rings.

From an interview John Bowers gave to the University of Nevada, Las Vegas in Decmeber, 2019, John said:

I’m working on the follow-up volume, Tolkien on Chaucer, 1913-1959, which will cover everything from early student essays to Tolkien’s comments on Chaucer in his retirement lecture.

This sounds right up my street.

Tolkien on Chaucer, 1913-1959

OUP Oxford (2024-06-25)

$136.60 Blackwell's (hardback) - Availability: Unknown
$105.00 Amazon.com (Hardcover) - Availability: Preorderable
£80.00 Amazon.co.uk (Hardcover) - Availability: Now
€107.65 Amazon.de (Gebundene Ausgabe) - Availability: Now
27 Aug, 2023
2023-8-27 1:22:07 PM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

onthetrail wrote:

[MODS: I don't know how the links are generated, if someone can tidy this up for me I'd appreciate it, cheers]

Tidied

Thank you Now I see the code, I will make a note so I know for future.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us