Tolkien Collector's Guide
The Hobbit Facsimile First Edition: Boxed Set [2012]
By Dior

The Hobbit Facsimile First Edition: Boxed Set [2012]

Jul 25, 2011 - in Books and other printed materials (edited)
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

Available for preorder on Amazon.co.uk

Amazon link

This sumptuous gift set contains a replica of the very rare first edition of The Hobbit, plus a book about the books’s publication history and a CD of previously unreleased archive recordings featuring J.R.R. Tolkien reading from his book. The Hobbit was published on 21 September 1937 with a print run of 1,500 copies. With a beautiful cover design by the author and a coloured frontispiece painting, the book proved to be popular and was reprinted within three months, and history was already being made. The scarcity of the first edition has resulted in copies commanding huge prices, way beyond the reach of most Tolkien fans. In addition, subsequent changes to the text - particularly those to chapter five when Tolkien decided to expand the text to marry it up to events in The Lord of the Rings - mean that the opportunity to read the book in its original form and format has become quite difficult. To commemorate the 75th anniversary of publication, this special edition reprints the first edition, so that Tolkien’s book may be enjoyed in its original form. Included in the box is a CD featuring recordings of Tolkien reading extracts from the book, including more than half an hour of archive recordings only recently discovered and never before released. In addition, a full colour booklet traces the origins of The Hobbit and its publication history, complete with a gallery of artwork and covers for this remarkable book.

Dior

Re: The Hobbit Facsimile First Edition: Boxed Set

From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

The CD sounds very interesting as well (30 minutes of previously unreleased Tolkien recordings)

and I see that the one volume History of the Hobbit is also available for pre-order

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0007440820/ref=oss_product

Re: The Hobbit Facsimile First Edition: Boxed Set

From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

This has been pushed back to September 2014 according to HarperCollins, a long wait

By Karl

Re: The Hobbit Facsimile First Edition: Boxed Set [2012]

Group:
Fellowship

2014 now! First this fall, then next fall, now 2 years. I preordered on Book Depository - I don't want them to have my money for 2 years before I have anything in my hands.

From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

Should have pre-ordered through Amazon then!

BH

You drive a hard bargain – you can have it for £10 all-in – one consolation (for you) is that you do not have to hear the cries of my children, for bread...

From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

I agree, this book looks to me likely to be cancelled, Amazon don't charge until it is shipped. Cancel with Book Depository and order this book from Amazon

By Karl

Group:
Fellowship

I'll likely cancel - I don't like that policy at Book Depository. I had ordered from them because I found a cheaper price than Amazon and others and when I complained that I wasn't notified about the publication date change (the first one) they gave me a 10% discount. Anyone know the story behind the delays? Really think it will be cancelled? - that would be a shame.

From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

I think the date September 2014 gives away the reason for the delay. This date is after the last of Peter Jackson's films are released.

I expect that all HarperCollins Hobbit books will be film tie ins until September 2014.

HarperCollins have told me that they have no plans to cancel the book.

From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

As Peter Jackson has moved back the last of the Hobbit films, to December 2014, I expect this to be further delayed until 2015.

All original content © 2018 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us