Tolkien Collector's Guide
Interviews
1 (2) 3

Re: Interviews

Apr 6, 2012 - in General Collecting Forum
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

An (old) interview with AS Byatt, talking about Tolkien (among other things).

http://www.theparisreview.org/intervi ... -fiction-no-168-a-s-byatt

- wellinghall

By Morgan

Mar 23, 2013 - in General Collecting Forum (edited)
From Sweden
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

Interview with Guy Gavriel Kay (with a brief mention of Tolkien as a "master class in harnessing myth and legend to narrative and theme" and how The Silmarillion influenced his decision to become an author):

http://www.fantasybookcafe.com/2013/0 ... iew-with-guy-gavriel-kay/

Aug 25, 2014 - in General Collecting Forum (edited)
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

Video interview with Peter Kenny about his Tolkien collection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MQF6ndC44s&feature=player_embedded

Having watched this, there is not much attention on his book collection, but instead focuses mainly on the films and collectables.

By garm

Aug 25, 2014 - in General Collecting Forum
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

The world's biggest Tolkien fan? Not while I'm alive.

Aug 25, 2014 - in General Collecting Forum
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

It's good to hear you're still alive garm!

BH

You drive a hard bargain – you can have it for £10 all-in – one consolation (for you) is that you do not have to hear the cries of my children, for bread...

By Stu

Aug 25, 2014 - in General Collecting Forum (edited)
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

garm wrote:
The world's biggest Tolkien fan? Not while I'm alive.

Typical Antipodean hyperbole, I'm afraid. I haven't watched the video, but I know he used to mostly collect "miscellaneous Tolkien and Jackson crap" (no offence to people who like such items -- just not to my taste) and only had a very limited collection of books.

(Note that when hyperbolising, we often add the phrase "in the southern hemisphere", so as to avoid too much scrutiny of any obviously outlandish claims of greatness. The southern hemisphere, of course, consists of places where you play football, grow/traffic drugs or get shot (or both), Antarctica (population 2,500), a vast wasteland full of red-dirt, kangaroos and backpacker murderers (and nothing else of note, except for a fancy opera house that is no good for opera), plus a tiny country with more sheep than people, so greatest/biggest/most expensive/etc don't mean much down here).

By Lokki

Aug 26, 2014 - in General Collecting Forum
Group:
Shirefolk

I started with collecting books but I am not sure it will stay that way. There are so much interesting Tolkien items out there. When watching collectors with over 10 000 items ( like in this interview that Trotter posted) I ask myself where will my collecting lead me in the future :)

By Lokki

Aug 26, 2014 - in General Collecting Forum
Group:
Shirefolk

As a matter of fact I am now also collecting old vinyls, not just books. I managed to find linguaphone's ''at the tobacconist'' and ''wireless'' vinyls:)

Sep 28, 2016 - in General Collecting Forum
Group:
Shirefolk

I was wondering how many recorded interviews are there of JRR Tolkien where he discusses Middle-earth? As far as I know:

- Tolkien in Oxford (including outtakes)
- BBC Radio Interview 1960's (2)

And of Christopher Tolkien, I've only seen one interview he did for a documentary in the 1990s.

By Morgan

Sep 28, 2016 - in General Collecting Forum
From Sweden
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

Have a look here:

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Index:Interviews_with_J.R.R._Tolkien

It may not be complete or fully correct (it's a wiki), but it's pretty well referenced, so you can use it as a basis for further investigation.

Edit: On a second reading I see you mean "recorded" as in an audio recording, not as in "record"="store information". Anyway -- hope you find something useful!

1 (2) 3
All original content © 2018 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us