Tolkien Collector's Guide
1...7677787980...86
Oct 23
2020/10/23 23:10:06 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Caudimordax wrote:

Mr. Underhill wrote:



Uruloke, use your pull at HC to get us a 2nd printing!

As if that'd stop us from lusting after 1st printings!

I know! I'd still lust after a first...but I might at least be able to get a copy for less than an arm and a leg
Oct 24
2020/10/24 5:41:55 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Caudimordax wrote:

Mr. Underhill wrote:



Uruloke, use your pull at HC to get us a 2nd printing!

As if that'd stop us from lusting after 1st printings!

I know! I'd still lust after a first...but I might at least be able to get a copy for less than an arm and a leg

Given the book has an identical page block to the standard edition, which is two-a-penny, 230 of your new English quids seems excessive. That said, despite the probable Chinese printing, they did a really good job with this -- the slipcase really is a perfect fit and very solid. If only it didn't have that horrible typo on the contents page...
Oct 24
2020/10/24 9:52:01 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I’m probably in the minority here... but I honestly don’t see the appeal of this edition (it may be purely an aesthetic choice for me).

But certainly it isn’t something I’d want just because it was only a single printing and it seems to be in demand now. 😅
Oct 24
2020/10/24 10:49:44 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Demand is a funny thing. I love this edition and am a big fan of Jemima's work but for so long this book was available for less than retail right up to it going OOS and all of a sudden people want it and the price goes to silly land.
Oct 24
2020/10/24 11:47:15 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Stu wrote:



Given the book has an identical page block to the standard edition, which is two-a-penny, 230 of your new English quids seems excessive. That said, despite the probable Chinese printing, they did a really good job with this -- the slipcase really is a perfect fit and very solid. If only it didn't have that horrible typo on the contents page...

*Grabs can opener*

Are you saying the 1st was a (good) Chinese printing, or speculating that a hypothetical 2nd would be?

*Further pries lid off can of worms*
Oct 24
2020/10/24 17:47:58 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

remy wrote:

Hard to find now. Last couple I saw (Shrinkwrapped) sold for over £300. There was one on a BIN on Ebay for £40 (where seller obviously did not realise what they could get for it).

That seems to be the "normal" price at this stage (for fine copies). Did see a couple of less fine copies sell for a good deal less (but can't remember exact prices).

Unless a wave of these hit the market - it will probably remain relatively "expensive".

I admit that I had a lot of luck with this auction (yes, i was the buyer). Besides, I didn't quite understand why no one had clicked before me because I discovered the ad 20 minutes after it was uploaded and there were already 15 watcher on it. Lucky me, I guess

Regarding the too high price of some auctions, I wonder if it does not make sense that long-time expert collectors find the current prices disproportionate, especially when they were able to buy the books at the time of their release. Conversely, I often wonder where are the ads at the prices considered correct because for my part, the average prices that I see are always much higher. Which brings me to the next reasoning.
This has already been mentioned here recently but I think that in addition to the longevity of the collector, you really have to take into account where he lives. If we compare a British and a continental European, the British have access to second-hand market sites that are surely more interesting while the European sees his second-hand market completely empty (I see it on a daily basis on the French site "Leboncoin" where we only exceptionally see a simple deluxe HC). I recently confirmed this impression by posting the same ad on Ebay.fr/Ebay.uk and the results (views/watchers) are multiplied by 5 on .uk ! We must add to this the shipping costs which double and sometimes the impossibility of international delivery for very interesting works.
In short, it seems to me that it is much more complicated depending on the profile of the collector

I can therefore understand that a young collector who has been looking for a specific work for a long time cracks when he comes across an action that he does not often see.
As remy said, before I have the chance to find mine at this excellent price, I believe I have personally never seen a fine Catlin deluxe copy under £ 200 for 2-3 years (but here, we probably come back to the problem of "invisible" ads for Europeans, even if they use Ebay.uk).

Please note, here I am expressing a simple opinion based on my humble experience. It can be completely wrong and I would like to have your opinion on this subject
(I hope my English is not too bad, I'm more used to reading it than writing it, and as you know Latin people are often poor with the Shakespeare's language.)
Oct 24
2020/10/24 18:33:03 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Bergelmir wrote:

If we compare a British and a continental European, the British have access to second-hand market sites that are surely more interesting while the European sees his second-hand market completely empty (I see it on a daily basis on the French site "Leboncoin" where we only exceptionally see a simple deluxe HC). I recently confirmed this impression by posting the same ad on Ebay.fr/Ebay.uk and the results (views/watchers) are multiplied by 5 on .uk ! We must add to this the shipping costs which double and sometimes the impossibility of international delivery for very interesting works...

...I can therefore understand that a young collector who has been looking for a specific work for a long time cracks when he comes across an action that he does not often see.

...(but here, we probably come back to the problem of "invisible" ads for Europeans, even if they use Ebay.uk).

This is also true in the USA, where a non-trivial number of English-speaking collectors with disposable income reside. Despite the competition, I've been very tempted to jump in on expensive auctions simply because fewer windows of opportunity are readily available to ever own a given volume (at least, relative to our friends in the UK). So many UK sellers won't ship internationally, let alone make their listings visible outside of .co.uk domains.
Oct 26
2020/10/26 23:00:29 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Seller: reup_rex (218)
Ended Oct 26, 2020
Buy-It-Now:
$100.00
Submitted by: Urulókë
Seller: aneythang55 (5279)
Ended Oct 28, 2020
Buy-It-Now:
$58.55
Submitted by: Urulókë
Seller: davidpmanning912 (281)
Ended Nov 1, 2020
Buy-It-Now:
£190.00
Submitted by: Urulókë
Oct 27 (edited)
2020/10/27 23:00:32 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Seller: xochis (10815)
Ends 2020/12/23 15:28:38
Buy-It-Now:
$380.00
Submitted by: Caudimordax
Oct 30
2020/10/30 23:00:31 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Seller: kayumari (1506)
Ended Oct 31, 2020
Buy-It-Now:
$197.00
Submitted by: Urulókë
Seller: bookbid (5385)
Ends 2020/12/7 19:10:17
Buy-It-Now:
$35,000.00
Submitted by: Urulókë
Seller: greenstreetbooks (13350)
Ends 2020/11/30 19:00:58
Buy-It-Now:
$118.01
Submitted by: Urulókë
Seller: awesomebooksusa (329008)
Ends 2020/11/30 9:34:49
Buy-It-Now:
$20.03
Submitted by: Berelach
Seller: antiquesonline101 (1849)
Ended Oct 30, 2020
£26.00
[6 Bids]
Submitted by: Khamûl
1...7677787980...86
Jump to Last