Tolkien Collector's Guide
[WTB] The Silmarillion Super Deluxe Signed Edition in Fine Condition

[WTB] The Silmarillion Super Deluxe Signed Edition in Fine Condition

Nov 21, 2017

Greetings!

I am looking to buy the Silmarillion Super Deluxe Signed Edition (xxx of 100) in Fine condition without any shelf-wears, indentations, scratches, foxing, and etc. with original slipcase included.

Please let me know with pricing!

4684_5a13f62967cea.jpg 900X883 px
Nov 21, 2017
(edited)
This is the only one I can find, does have some condition issues though.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Boo ... p=snippet-_-srp1-_-title2

As you wanted to know about pricing, I would expect that you would have to pay at least GBP £7000 for this item, that fits your criteria, if you can find one for sale.

Good Luck and let us know if you are successful.
Nov 21, 2017
I hope you have deep pockets
Nov 21, 2017

Trotter wrote:
This is the only one I can find, does have some condition issues though.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Boo ... p=snippet-_-srp1-_-title2

As you wanted to know about pricing, I would expect that you would have to pay at least GBP £7000 for this item, that fits your criteria, if you can find one for sale.

Good Luck and let us know if you are successful.


Thank you very much! I have previously contacted the seller, but due to horrible condition that the book is in, I decided not to purchase it.

You are right about this book requiring a considerable expense, but I do not think it should be anything upward of USD $4-5k since another fellow collector and a trader has been selling the signed versions for around that range for the past several years (and the unsigned for $2-3k).

I am keeping my fingers crossed!
Nov 21, 2017

The_Antiquarian wrote:
Thank you very much! I have previously contacted the seller, but due to horrible condition that the book is in, I decided not to purchase it.

You are right about this book requiring a considerable expense, but I do not think it should be anything upward of USD $4-5k since another fellow collector and a trader has been selling the signed versions for around that range for the past several years (and the unsigned for $2-3k).

I am keeping my fingers crossed!


Great, let us know if you can find an edition for less than GBP £7000, that fits your criteria?
Nov 21, 2017
Hi
I really don't thing you will find one for £3500-£4,000 meeting your criteria. Remember these are like hens teeth and people pay a premium for them (right or wrongly)
Now for £6999 I might ponder on it
Nov 21, 2017
(edited)
What's "horrible" about the #36 copy for sale on ABE?

Need to lower your expectations I think. Also, what's the deal with trying to buy up all these top-end copies of The Silmarillion?

BH
Nov 21, 2017
(edited)

Khamûl wrote:
What's "horrible" about the #36 copy for sale on ABE?

Need to lower your expectations I think. Also, what's the deal with trying to buy up all these top-end copies if The Silmarillion?

BH



To be fair, it doesn't look like a great copy. There is obviously damage to the top of the spine, and severe blotching to the leather around the bottom half of the spine (damp related, I'd guess). If I was in the market for spending this kind of money on a book (or a bit more), I personally wouldn't be buying that copy.

These are only scarce books at "sensible" prices, but equally, if you are willing to pay a lot of money, the scarcity problem does drop away somewhat, I suspect.
Nov 21, 2017
(edited)
Wouldn't describe it as horrible though. It's probably best described as...
... the only numbered copy currently online!

Seriously though, if you're going to pay £5K+ for this then I think you're going to have literally a couple of people to sell it to, should you want to sell it in the future & recoup your money.

BH
Nov 22, 2017

Khamûl wrote:
Wouldn't describe it as horrible though. It's probably best described as...
... the only numbered copy currently online!

Seriously though, if you're going to pay £5K+ for this then I think you're going to have literally a couple of people to sell it to, should you want to sell it in the future & recoup your money.

BH



Yeah, 'horrible' might be a bit hyperbolic :)

I'd entirely agree in your comment about the positively tiny market for resale. It wouldn't be where I would spend my money. I haven't sold a book yet, and I wouldn't get (even close to) 5K of pleasure out of looking at it on my shelf. For me, collecting is a fun hobby, rather than a serious pursuit or something that demands huge expenditure. But horses for courses and all that.
Nov 22, 2017

To be fair, it doesn't look like a great copy. There is obviously damage to the top of the spine, and severe blotching to the leather around the bottom half of the spine (damp related, I'd guess). If I was in the market for spending this kind of money on a book (or a bit more), I personally wouldn't be buying that copy.


That is exactly the reason why I passed on this book. Having been an avid collector of artwork, condition is tantamount for me. If I were to spend thousands of dollars on something, I might as well add another thousand to obtain a copy that is more appealing to my eyes.


Khamûl wrote:
What's "horrible" about the #36 copy for sale on ABE?

Need to lower your expectations I think. Also, what's the deal with trying to buy up all these top-end copies of The Silmarillion?

BH


I try to abide by the similar standards that I have set for myself when collecting artwork. If I were to add a collectible to my collection, I would like the "finest work" done by the artist at his "finest period" in "finest condition." Those are the formulas that have served me well when it comes to my artworks holding their values (beating inflation) or even appreciating in value.

I might sound like a money-hungry collector who is in this noble hobby only for gains, but I am not as sinister as how I have portrayed myself.

All my artworks and books are feast for my eyes. The mere fact of possessing them brings me immense joy. However, I find the prospect of the collective value of my collection rising in value, equally intoxicating as well.

FIY, I have purchased more than several dozens of artworks in the past (and hundreds of other small collectibles) and I have only sold a SINGLE ITEM in the market, in my lifetime of collecting (only 30 years =P). Although I will never sell my high-end Silmarillion (most likely), I still want my collection to rise up in value.
Load more
Jump to Last