Tolkien Collector's Guide
Aug 21, 2019
2019/8/21 14:11:09 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
HoME index perhaps?
Aug 21, 2019 (edited)
2019/8/21 14:17:06 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Kidding.

Off the top of my head I can't really think what major fiction hasn't been released in this format. PR brought together all of the smaller pre-posthumous publications. It would really just be FCL, Mr Bliss, and some of the academic stuff that's currently OOP in Hb (if they were to go down that route).

Letters maybe?
Aug 21, 2019
2019/8/21 15:35:06 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I expected Letters well before FCL to be done in the Deluxe format.

I haven't seen the hardcover trade on Mr. Bliss does it work in that format?
Aug 21, 2019
2019/8/21 15:46:02 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I suppose the real question is, once they've finished with this format (of trade + deluxe) what will the next major format reboot look like? This incarnation of deluxe editions have been kicking around (now in multiple reprints) since 2004. It feels like a long, long time.

Time for a new Silmarillion Hb format me thinks...
Aug 21, 2019
2019/8/21 15:47:03 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I’d say maybe Letters and some compendium of other works as mentioned (though it would be quite a random selection if it were to include Aotrou and Itroun.

And I know this may seem like blasphemy, but since the so-called deluxe HoME is completely unmatched with the rest of the series and still makes me sad as it felt like a missed opportunity, I am secretly hoping they do the individual HoME books in a deluxe series, with proper matching spines, and unique gilt motifs. They could do these like the print-on-demand hardcover HoME books that they offer. 😬
Aug 21, 2019
2019/8/21 22:53:32 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Letters is the one thing I would like to see in this format. I think things like FCL, Mr Bliss, etc., are daft as deluxe editions (in this matching format, anyway).
Aug 21, 2019
2019/8/21 22:57:30 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Khamûl wrote:
I suppose the real question is, once they've finished with this format (of trade + deluxe) what will the next major format reboot look like? This incarnation of deluxe editions have been kicking around (now in multiple reprints) since 2004. It feels like a long, long time.

Time for a new Silmarillion Hb format me thinks...

That's a good question, and I suspect it comes down to what can be done relatively inexpensively in China, which probably rules out anything I'd want to buy. I'm not going to down the deluxe edition path again unless they are much better than the current offerings.

Now if they did a Super Deluxe Hobbit and LoTR in the same format as the Super-Deluxe CoH, printed and bound by LEGO, I'd buy them like a shot.
Aug 22, 2019
2019/8/22 1:18:05 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I believe this is the latest Amazon description. Sounds very promising (my bold).

This beautiful, deluxe slipcased edition of Tolkien's famous illustrated letters from Father Christmas to his children includes for the first time every letter, picture and envelope that he sent them, reproduced in glorious colour. The perfect Christmas gift for Tolkien lovers of all ages.

This classic festive book of Tolkien's amazing Father Christmas letters written to his children between the 1920s and the 1940s has been reworked into a sumptuous, new deluxe edition. It contains brand new high-quality digital reproductions of his wonderful letters and pictures, including a number them that have never been printed before, a revised introduction by Baillie Tolkien, and a special full-colour, foldout frontispiece.
Aug 22, 2019
2019/8/22 7:41:12 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Khamûl wrote:
Kidding.

Off the top of my head I can't really think what major fiction hasn't been released in this format. PR brought together all of the smaller pre-posthumous publications. It would really just be FCL, Mr Bliss, and some of the academic stuff that's currently OOP in Hb (if they were to go down that route).

Letters maybe?

Maybe also the Lay of Aotrou and Itroun (if not printed in China, unlike the Kullervo) ?
Aug 22, 2019
2019/8/22 9:47:54 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Eorl wrote:
I believe this is the latest Amazon description. Sounds very promising (my bold).

This beautiful, deluxe slipcased edition of Tolkien's famous illustrated letters from Father Christmas to his children includes for the first time every letter, picture and envelope that he sent them, reproduced in glorious colour. The perfect Christmas gift for Tolkien lovers of all ages.

This classic festive book of Tolkien's amazing Father Christmas letters written to his children between the 1920s and the 1940s has been reworked into a sumptuous, new deluxe edition. It contains brand new high-quality digital reproductions of his wonderful letters and pictures, including a number them that have never been printed before, a revised introduction by Baillie Tolkien, and a special full-colour, foldout frontispiece.

That does sound like at least there will be some added value from the edition if there is a bit of extra material. I'm skeptical about the improved printing. That was supposed to be the case with the one vol LoTR in the plastic slipcase, and there really wasn't a lot of difference - the existing printing was already perfectly good.
Jump to Last