Tolkien Collector's Guide
Oct 7
2020/10/7 14:20:48 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Looks like a nice set, and I'm glad to see it was printed in Italy.

How many of you read your 3-volume HoME sets? My assumption has been that it's a bit too big to read enjoyably so I've been collecting individual HoME volumes. A set like this does have a lot of appeal if it's readable though.
Oct 7
2020/10/7 14:22:40 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Despite what Berelach suggested, I am somewhat reliable

Eorl, good luck on your order! I went overboard and purchased the boxed set (still wrapped) and the individual volumes. The Amazon box was heavy but they actually did a good job packing.

-Lance
Oct 7
2020/10/7 14:37:03 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Exactly how I expected them to look. The ones I have are printed in Italy by Lego, which I was relieved to see. Have yet to read them, but will do so one chapter per day once I start, at a desk to read.
Oct 7
2020/10/7 14:39:53 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

insurrbution wrote:

Exactly how I expected them to look. The ones I have are printed in Italy by Lego, which I was relieved to see. Have yet to read them, but will do so one chapter per day once I start, at a desk to read.

What year were those? My 2002 was printed at Clays.
Oct 7
2020/10/7 14:40:44 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

insurrbution wrote:

Yours is a HC set? When did you get it?
Oct 7
2020/10/7 14:41:31 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Alright...Lance's pics convinced me, I'm ordering.

I have the deluxe set from HC that came out a few years ago, but I never got around to getting this version.

Also the price just dropped $20 for the set on Amazon US. From $182 to $162
Oct 7
2020/10/7 15:11:21 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Alright...Lance's pics convinced me, I'm ordering.

I have the deluxe set from HC that came out a few years ago, but I never got around to getting this version.

Also the price just dropped $20 for the set on Amazon US. From $182 to $162

Just out of curiosity, apart from the $20 price drop and print in Italy, what got you excited enough to pull the trigger?
Oct 7
2020/10/7 15:23:26 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I got my set (HarperCollins) in 2017 (around when the collector's edition came out, as most of my Tolkien hardbacks are reflective of which titles exist as a collector's edition), and that was printed in Italy, then
Oct 7
2020/10/7 15:37:59 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I think the fact that it's a first printing of the US version (which it's always nice to have a first printing of anything) and I never got around to ordering the HC version.

So I'll have the HC deluxe version, the HMH version (first printing), and I also have all the American Individual hardback first printings of HOME as well. Bit a completist here.
Oct 7
2020/10/7 16:59:46 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Ah, that makes sense! Do you think your deluxe HC version satisfies the completionist's bug, or do you reckon you'll pick up the non-deluxe HC trio one day?
Jump to Last