Tolkien Collector's Guide
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

12

First signed Swedish edition from Tolkien to E.J.M. (1959-1961).

Jan 18 (edited)
2023/1/18 15:57:50 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

*Mod: In response to the conversation on the "New eBay listings" thread

This is my first signed Swedish edition from Tolkien to E.J.M. (1959-1961). I add the link to the article I wrote about this edition and more...

https://tolkieniano.blogspot.com/2016/ ... nelli-autografato-da.html

2174_63c8161172d23.jpg 1600X726 px

2174_63c81619b7d99.jpg 1600X900 px
Jan 18
2023/1/18 16:07:48 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Wonderful to see, thanks for posting Tolkieniano
Jan 18
2023/1/18 18:36:11 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Thank you for sharing such an informative and interesting article! (si, sono capace di leggere in italiano)
Jan 19
2023/1/19 13:54:37 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Excellent Tolkieniano!

Lance here are close-ups of the textblock of one of my volumes. Not sure if you can do a good enough comparison to answer your question.

5187_63c94b8d54658.jpg 2048X1536 px

5187_63c94b960f0e7.jpg 2048X1536 px
Jan 19
2023/1/19 16:18:22 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

northman wrote:

Excellent Tolkieniano!

Lance here are close-ups of the textblock of one of my volumes. Not sure if you can do a good enough comparison to answer your question.

Thanks.

Yeah hard to see how it was bound but I think at this point we know now they issued a hardback and a large format softcover. I was really curious if the paper used, size and text block was the same between formats.
Jan 19
2023/1/19 17:11:22 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
northman is that dust jacket illustration on yours repeated inside the cover as well? (as in the picture below)

This picture is from an old auction but it might be the same (very good condition) set on eBay which Dagoth recently linked to.

At least from what I can see in your photo northman, that green inner cover isn't there. It's starting to look like there might be three variations (sorry Lance!) i.e.

(1) Large format softcover
(2) Hardback re-bound using (1)
(3) Hardback with dust jacket

Perhaps (2) arose from poor sales of (1) and the publisher decided to re-bind?...

5570_63c97998ba2dc.jpg 1079X1490 px
Jan 19
2023/1/19 17:48:08 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Predictable Matt wrote:

At least from what I can see in your photo northman, that green inner cover isn't there. It's starting to look like there might be three variations (sorry Lance!) i.e.

(1) Large format softcover
(2) Hardback re-bound using (1)
(3) Hardback with dust jacket

Perhaps (2) arose from poor sales of (1) and the publisher decided to re-bind?...

I was pondering that maybe (2) existed!

And here is a link to another hardback listing (no jackets) where you can clearly see the green inner cover…

Seller: targhedilegno
(568)
Ended Jan 22, 2023
Buy-It-Now:
EUR 640.00
Submitted by: LanceFormation
Jan 21
2023/1/21 20:51:15 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Predictable Matt wrote:

northman is that dust jacket illustration on yours repeated inside the cover as well? (as in the picture below)

This picture is from an old auction but it might be the same (very good condition) set on eBay which Dagoth recently linked to.

At least from what I can see in your photo northman, that green inner cover isn't there. It's starting to look like there might be three variations (sorry Lance!) i.e.

(1) Large format softcover
(2) Hardback re-bound using (1)
(3) Hardback with dust jacket

Perhaps (2) arose from poor sales of (1) and the publisher decided to re-bind?...

Here is how it looks innside one of my volumes.

5187_63cc501db2f1c.jpg 4000X3000 px

5187_63cc501db42ba.jpg 4000X3000 px
Jan 21
2023/1/21 21:33:09 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Thank you!

So the DJ illustration is indeed repeated inside the cover. I was going to suggest that this makes it more likely that the publisher re-bound the softcovers, but I'd say this (old auction) photo below goes against that, as the softcovers appear to be noticeably taller.

Might be time to get the rulers out 🤔

5570_63cc59fdaf23e.jpg 1079X1094 px
Jan 21
2023/1/21 23:00:12 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Predictable Matt wrote:

Thank you!

So the DJ illustration is indeed repeated inside the cover. I was going to suggest that this makes it more likely that the publisher re-bound the softcovers, but I'd say this (old auction) photo below goes against that, as the softcovers appear to be noticeably taller.

Might be time to get the rulers out 🤔

Also the page with the illustration is 'soft paper'.
12
Jump to Last
All original content ©2023 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us