« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: List of my documentaries... Need informations for complements
Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
The second one, you post Urulókë --that's just J.R.R.T. A Film Portrait of J.R.R. Tolkien is it not? Did it have a different title in the US or something? I'm pretty annoyed The Tolkien Estate hasn't re-released this on DVD & have left it for people to post up on YouTube. That said, I've actually never (altho' I haven't looked very hard) seen the whole thing posted, only clips of various CT sections.

Immense documentary. The only one worth having surely?

BH

Posted on: 2013/8/2 3:51

Edited by Khaml on 2013/8/2 7:37:59

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
I'm actually just going to watch the whole thing right now; it's so damn good!

You know, you see a lot of Tolkien documentaries, or documentaries on fiction & fantasy in general --but I'm staggered as to why they don't just throw this one on. Christopher sums up everything you could possibly say in support/defence of Tolkien's literary output (&, in part, of fantastic literature generally); giving as in-depth an explanation as you're likely to find of Tolkien's work. It's a great, great production.

BH

Posted on: 2013/8/2 4:10

Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
You are correct, that second one is "A Film Portrait" and I have updated my text in that post accordingly. I took a quick peek at Amazon.com and it appears that this was released on DVD in Japan (not at all sure if legitimately) but there are copies available for staggering prices as seen below (approx $4000.00 for posterity).

Posted on: 2013/8/2 10:46

Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Khamûl will appreciate this awesome Amazon description of the DVD

http://www.amazon.com/J-R-R-Tolkien-A ... lm-Portrait/dp/B0000DI87Y

Actors: J.R.R. Tolkien, Judy Dench
Format: Color, NTSC
Language: English

This captivating biography has been made with the full support and co-operation of The J.R.R. Tolkien Estate Limited, and his surviving children, Priscilla, John and Christopher all contribute intimate memories of their father. Richly illustrated with Tolkien’s own drawings and photographs from the family album, this film also features Her Majesty Queen Margrethe of Denmark—who, as a young Princess, was fascinated by Tolkien’s stories and wrote to him enclosing her illustrations in appreciation. Narrated by Dame Judy Dench.

On the VHS tape Dame Judy narrates in her native tongue but surprisingly the Japanese DVD of this is only in Japanese Audio, and probably not Dame Judy doing the audio.

I also love the bookshop at the start of the program, shrink-wrapped John Howe box-sets, wonderful

If anyone wants to buy my copy for $4000 then go ahead.

Tolkien in Oxford (labelled as BBC: In Their Own Words) is also worth watching, first of the videos on the playlist.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 11:01

Edited by Trotter on 2013/8/2 11:15:29
Edited by Trotter on 2013/8/2 11:18:19
Edited by Trotter on 2013/8/2 11:19:17
Edited by Trotter on 2013/8/2 11:25:58

Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Thanks for that note on the audio! I had just ordered a copy from amazon.co.jp (under $40 including shipping to the USA) to see what it had on it, but since I speak no Japanese I think I will cancel the order for now.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-lan ... ng?ie=UTF8&language=en_JP

Posted on: 2013/8/2 11:24

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.