5 hours 41 minutes ago

Khamûl
10 hours 27 minutes ago

Jlong
11 hours 15 minutes ago

Stu
22 hours 33 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Have you ever experienced Tolkien collecting burnout?
Never! How dare you even think that!
I've had some doubts, but got better.
I'm burned out now, ask me later if I recover.
I'm selling my collection, interested?
I don't collect Tolkien

« 1 (2)

Re: Collector burnout discussion
Just popping in
From SoCal, USA
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Um... actually, that patch of burnout I was speaking of was in regard to my archive; not the archive itself, or my personal collecting, but the difficulties resulting from creating it (the mountain of books, primarily).

As far as collecting goes, I go through phases of not actively searching (which doesn't prevent finding!), but my interest level stays pretty steady.

I'm a slightly different breed of collector from this forum's regular crowd, I think. I try to keep the accumulation down to 30 board feet of just my favorites (and I fail ...but the effort is made). I could just be in the world's longest denial, but I think not... it does sound like it would be quite a burden (both in sheer mass and of responsibility) to own one of each thing, even if it were possible, so I operate in a very slow, perpetual upgrade mode. Perhaps I have a perspective in common with the aforementioned spouses because they are wives (as I am) rather than husbands-? Hm. Anyway, I also don't have the spousal burnout problem (so far). But, if you need an excuse for buying that book, try explaining that it's NOT a book, it's a very small piece of real estate; likely to appreciate in value at the same rate as your house, and you needn't pay taxes on it in the meantime. A wife might better understand this reasoning put in those terms... maybe.

-skwish

~Please don't visit today, the website is on hiatus

Posted on: 2008/7/16 16:45

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.