Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

22 Nov, 2008
2008-11-22 1:26:16 AM UTC
I noticed the careless cut-and-paste also. And it works the other way as well. The CoH part of the FAQ still says that the CoH is the only limited edition available signed "... and/or by Alan Lee", while at the same time the PerRs section above states that the CoH is also available. Careless indeed ...

It sometimes looks like 'careless' is the by-word of modern publishers. As in the Dutch publishers Mynx publishing with a map of M-e lacking Helm's Deep, Edoras, Parth Galen and Dagorlad. And using the (old) LotR map for UT as well, while retaining Christophers description of the new map in the introduction.

I'd like to see Trotter go to Trading Standards, I'd be interested in what they have to say about it.
22 Nov, 2008
2008-11-22 8:11:46 AM UTC
I have emailed Harper Collins asking for a replacement copy of the Book numbered by Alan Lee.

I need to use this route before Trading Standards and the Advertising Standards Authority (both now cover websites).

If I get a reply from Harper Collins, I'll post it here.
22 Nov, 2008
2008-11-22 11:44:53 AM UTC
To be honest, I can't really see HC doing anything beyond perhaps providing a refund to anyone that kicks up a stink. I don't think they would have much choice with regards to doing that as they have - albeit presumably inadvertently - misadvertised the product thanks to that FAQ. I ordered two copies and I would not have done so if I had not been lead to believe that it was a numbered edition. That said, I'm not sure I have the energy to start posting books back to the UK...
22 Nov, 2008
2008-11-22 1:24:53 PM UTC
Good luck with this, Trotter - please let us know how you get on.

- wellinghall
23 Nov, 2008
2008-11-23 12:08:35 AM UTC
I have also emailed HarperCollins explaining why the error on their FAQ (or error with the actual books, whichever it is) is fairly material to collectors when deciding whether to make a purchase. I don't think much will happen beyond them correcting the FAQ (perhaps), but we shall see....
24 Nov, 2008
2008-11-24 1:49:07 PM UTC
Poor old HarperCollins! Trotter, what are you going to do if they do send you a numbered copy!?

BH
24 Nov, 2008
2008-11-24 7:29:50 PM UTC
It would be unique, so I'll be very pleased. The whole point really is to get them to take these sort of events more seriously and if they state in future that a book is numbered, then they make sure that it is.
25 Nov, 2008
2008-11-25 12:37:53 AM UTC
There is probably some lackey in the warehouse numbering them as we speak with an old bic biro :)

On a more serious note, I think it is a bit poor that I haven't had any response from them (even a simple acknowledgment of the email would be nice) and they still haven't fixed their site. Mind you when I courteously pointed out the bugs in their website before the formal launch they didn't reply to that either, so my faith in them caring is low.

In truth, perhaps I am just getting a bit jaded and cynical with all these deluxe re-re-re-releases of existing material. Unless they do any more editions signed by CRRT, then perhaps I'll get back to concentrating on existing releases for my collection, rather than continuing to fall into the 'special edition collector' trap. I went to see the new Bond movie yesterday (it was quite good, actually) and they had these 'special edition collector cups' of coke. Plastic junk for the masses, but I couldn't help thinking about the parallels with my collecting special edition books. The buyer of the collector cup and the buyer of the book are really both suckers pulled in by the marketing machine for a product being sold way above its intrinsic value.

Maybe I need to go and live in a cave or something as this modern world is getting me down. Sigh :)

Stu
25 Nov, 2008
2008-11-25 9:25:45 PM UTC
But then you'd have the problem of damp; and moisture is the enemy of all books! Altho' you might find more square foot for your money...

BH
28 Nov, 2008
2008-11-28 12:08:46 AM UTC
Well one of my 2 ToPR copies (I had one mailed to Australia) turned up today. From casual observation through the shrink-wrap looks nice, and a better effort than the CoH or Sil paper-covered deluxes.

Still no word back from HC regarding the numbering issue, mind, which shows a real lack of respect for the customer.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us