Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

21 Oct, 2016
2016-10-21 1:13:23 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

I think you are right to make your voice heard on the matter. It is disappointing from a quality and ethical perspective. It is the details that always seem to be wrong as the Chinese inevitably cut corners (quite literally in the case of this slipcase -- they need to cut curves!).

I guess they will make more effort on the first prints as they know HC will be paying more attention, and subsequent prints will be worse. That's just the way it works in China, unless you are 100% on top of the supplier and rejecting their sloppy work.

What I don't understand is why cut corners and try to save on the production of a "Deluxe Edition"? Do that with mass market throwaway paperbacks, not with a collectible item. Makes me sorry I pre-ordered.
21 Oct, 2016
2016-10-21 6:45:12 AM UTC
So true! I am actually turned off by this and am in no hurry to purchase it anymore.

And for that matter, I am glad I haven't shelled out my hard earned money on the first editions of the previous books. I am a completist, and knowing that one of these is an inferior quality book ruins the "collector's appeal" of the entire series for me. I will probably just wait to purchase this when I get it really cheap, if at all.

Boo!
21 Oct, 2016
2016-10-21 8:24:20 AM UTC

Earl wrote:
So true! I am actually turned off by this and am in no hurry to purchase it anymore.

And for that matter, I am glad I haven't shelled out my hard earned money on the first editions of the previous books. I am a completist, and knowing that one of these is an inferior quality book ruins the "collector's appeal" of the entire series for me. I will probably just wait to purchase this when I get it really cheap, if at all.

Boo!

It doesn't really bother me from an entire series perspective (although I fail to see any reason for this to be a deluxe edition at all, frankly). Being Chinese printed AND having construction issues, I can't say it feels like a worthy purchase for me. I can't see this being a big seller, somehow.
21 Oct, 2016
2016-10-21 8:27:04 AM UTC
Allen & Unwin messed up the numbers in the 1st ed. FotR - they printed the 5th imp. in February 1956; then marked the next imp. '5th impression December 1956'. Publishers, eh!

As Rayner Unwin remarked, many years later (on another matter, IIRC) -
"It just goes to show the publishers cannot count'.

21 Oct, 2016
2016-10-21 11:14:36 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

It doesn't really bother me from an entire series perspective (although I fail to see any reason for this to be a deluxe edition at all, frankly). Being Chinese printed AND having construction issues, I can't say it feels like a worthy purchase for me. I can't see this being a big seller, somehow.

I guess my feeling is I would like to have a collection comprising either:

1. All first editions printed and bound in Italy or UK.
2. All non-first editions printed and bound in China.

I think it would annoy the heck out of me to have the one Chinese edition stick out in a collection of superior firsts. That's just me though.

And let's hope they don't go this route for the new Beren and Luthien deluxe edition.
21 Oct, 2016
2016-10-21 1:54:51 PM UTC
Earl, that's exactly how I feel. I have spent some money on gathering the Deluxe 1st prints and now this happens. The only good thing about having pre-ordered is that they slashed the price at some point so I paid around £40 for it.

Don't get me wrong, I still think the rest of the Deluxe 1st prints are worth collecting and I'm very happy to have them. This one simply does not belong to that collection.

I think there's a good chance for the regular Beren and Luthien hardback to be printed in Italy or UK since it will sell much better than Kullervo (so they will have a larger 1st print).
21 Oct, 2016
2016-10-21 2:39:51 PM UTC
I forget, are we expecting a Deluxe Secret Vice and/or Lay of Aotrou and Itroun before Beren and Luthien or are those yet to be announced?
21 Oct, 2016
2016-10-21 2:54:02 PM UTC
As far as I know, TBA.
21 Oct, 2016
2016-10-21 2:55:03 PM UTC

Karl wrote:
I forget, are we expecting a Deluxe Secret Vice and/or Lay of Aotrou and Itroun before Beren and Luthien or are those yet to be announced?

I expect both will come out next year, but probably after Beren and Luthien as the Deluxe for that is in May of next year.
21 Oct, 2016
2016-10-21 11:24:59 PM UTC
Earl wrote:

I guess my feeling is I would like to have a collection comprising either:

1. All first editions printed and bound in Italy or UK.
2. All non-first editions printed and bound in China.

I think it would annoy the heck out of me to have the one Chinese edition stick out in a collection of superior firsts. That's just me though.

And let's hope they don't go this route for the new Beren and Luthien deluxe edition.

I know what you are saying, but I would say just avoid this particular title. It would be a bit crazy to want the poor quality Chinese ones, just for perceived uniformity of the set!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us