Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

21 Oct, 2017
2017-10-21 8:15:47 PM UTC
I'm not saying they don't differ or that it shouldn't be noted. I just think it's an exaggeration to think that the Chinese impressions are dreadful products. They're okay. Still, is that how many of latest deluxe copies there are, 14? They've done not bad keeping them this consistent then?

BH
21 Oct, 2017
2017-10-21 8:28:46 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
I'm not saying they don't differ or that it shouldn't be noted. I just think it's an exaggeration to think that the Chinese impressions are dreadful products. They're okay. Still, is that how many of latest deluxe copies there are, 14? They've done not bad keeping them this consistent then?

BH

Actually, I think - not including Kullervo and HoME - HC has done a perfectly reasonable job of consistency with the first impessions of this series. The skipcase sides probably had the biggest deviations (some of them got awfully thin).

Of course, there will be some irony after complaining about the Chinese reprints, if the reprint of HoMe (which will probably be Chinese, based on past performance) ends up being better than the first impression. I still won't buy it, mind :)
21 Oct, 2017
2017-10-21 9:16:14 PM UTC
Wouldn't you buy it even if you didn't have it? No idea on it, by the way. I don't think previous editions are that cheaper.

I think around 150 is not a bad purchase if you don't have it.
21 Oct, 2017
2017-10-21 11:20:49 PM UTC

mboswi wrote:
Wouldn't you buy it even if you didn't have it? No idea on it, by the way. I don't think previous editions are that cheaper.

I think around 150 is not a bad purchase if you don't have it.

Sure, if I didn't already have the standard 3 volume, I'd buy it. I think I paid about £95 for the standard boxed set (new). So in your case it makes sense. But for the weary collector who already has several editions (UK 12 volume set x 2, US 12 Volume Set, UK 3 Volume set x 2), it isn't compelling. The argument can, of course, be made that it clearly isn't aimed at me.
22 Oct, 2017
2017-10-22 2:24:15 AM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
'I just don't see that it's worth getting worked up about...

...assuming you're worked up about this? I think I'm getting worked up about this!

BH

Haha! I will be honest - I did get worked up initially because I have been hoping for this set for a long while. I mean, since HC has been consistently releasing these deluxe editions (and whether people agree these are deluxe or not is another matter!) for more than a decade, I was of course wishing they would allow collectors the pleasure of completing the set.

But it's the story of most things these days isn't it - the decline in quality, and the lack of consistency in design and detail over a span of time. It's easier to accept this from film studios who are churning out products without respect for the material, as it were. It's harder to accept that a long-time publisher of a respected author would be so slipshod. And this isn't just about the latest HOME design... we've discussed other aspects on this forum already.

Anyway, at this point, for me, it's one of those cases where "I can't lose what I didn't have to begin with". So no longer worked up am I
22 Oct, 2017
2017-10-22 9:18:43 AM UTC
I'm curious as to what product HC could aim at a collector who has two UK 12 volume sets...

BH
22 Oct, 2017
2017-10-22 12:44:54 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
I'm curious as to what product HC could aim at a collector who has two UK 12 volume sets...

BH

But HC were marketing this set at collectors who have multiple copies of each book. The very mention of 'deluxe' guarantees some uptake and the resulting effort is laughable. I stopped collecting the deluxe because they are faux deluxe. There is little deluxe about them beyond taking up more space than needed.
22 Oct, 2017
2017-10-22 7:31:50 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:

BH

Well, I should have more than two, right? Lots of permutations of priced/unpriced, barcode/no barcode, etc... To be honest, my "A" set never got unboxed after I moved to NZ 4 years ago. I'm not sure I'd bother buying two sets these days!
23 Oct, 2017
2017-10-23 1:39:40 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:
A book that I am interested in is the Middle-Earth Treasury, if anyone gets a copy can they kindly post some photos.

Thanks in advance

Trotter, DHL decided my Middle-earth Treasury was too square so they dealt with it and my set is now being sent again from Amazon. Will post pictures when it arrives.
24 Oct, 2017
2017-10-24 4:04:11 AM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

Trotter wrote:
A book that I am interested in is the Middle-Earth Treasury, if anyone gets a copy can they kindly post some photos.

Thanks in advance

Trotter, DHL decided my Middle-earth Treasury was too square so they dealt with it and my set is now being sent again from Amazon. Will post pictures when it arrives.

Mine is coming from Book Depository. Pre-ordered -- hasn't shipped yet though, even though they sent me a "It is on the way from our supplier" email quite some time ago.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us