Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Beren and Luthien Deluxe Slipcase Edition

29 Nov, 2017
2017-11-29 5:45:01 PM UTC

Greetings!

I understand that a Deluxe Slipcase Edition of Beren and Luthien has been published as well, along with the regular edition.

I am thinking about acquiring one, but I am not quite sure whether reissues are already printed for the book. Has anyone received a copy of the second impression of Beren and Luthien Deluxe Slipcase Edition?
30 Nov, 2017
2017-11-30 7:34:23 AM UTC

The_Antiquarian wrote:
Greetings!

I understand that a Deluxe Slipcase Edition of Beren and Luthien has been published as well, along with the regular edition.

I am thinking about acquiring one, but I am not quite sure whether reissues are already printed for the book. Has anyone received a copy of the second impression of Beren and Luthien Deluxe Slipcase Edition?

No idea. I'd be surprised if they didn't print a fairly large first print for this title. CoH was 10,000 copies from memory. Not sure if they have even sold those through yet.

These books will never be worth anything, so I'd maybe not worry to much if you get a second impression (which I think is unlikely). Buy it if you like it to stick on the shelf and have it look nice (in which case 1st and 2nd would probably be the same, unless 2nd was Chinese, I guess). You can pick this title up pretty cheaply, so probably worth a punt and see what you get.
1 Dec, 2017
2017-12-1 5:28:45 PM UTC
Always eager to lend a helping hand to a fellow novice!

Thank you very much for your input!

I figured obtaining a Deluxe Slipcase version would be in a way to celebrate my momentous occasion of jumpstarting an actual Tolkien collection in 2017.

This would be one of my first purchases of an actual first edition first impression book that is "currently available" in the market (instead of buying dusty pricey "old" first edition copies!).
2 Dec, 2017
2017-12-2 2:27:15 PM UTC

The_Antiquarian wrote:

Sorry but Stu is not a 'fellow novice', he is a very experienced collector.
3 Dec, 2017
2017-12-3 1:27:06 AM UTC

Trotter wrote:

The_Antiquarian wrote:

My God that’s not what I meant! I was referring to myself when I said a word novice! Only the fellow part applies to Mr. Stu since we are all in the same community!

I apologize if that came out differently than originally intended!

Btw, I saw your collection on Reddit. Quite stunning.
3 Dec, 2017
2017-12-3 2:46:01 PM UTC
The Antiquarian... that’s the nicest response ever :)

It was clear to me what you meant, but I can see where the confusion might have been.

Anyway, I think you should be able to get the Beren & Luthien deluxe edition for about USD 70 if you’re lucky. I overpaid a little bit but I rushed to get a 1st/1st. I’m sorry I can’t help with whether they’ve reached 2nd impressions. Perhaps a message to Harper Collins might clarify.
3 Dec, 2017
2017-12-3 10:57:05 PM UTC

The_Antiquarian wrote:

Trotter wrote:

The_Antiquarian wrote:

My God that’s not what I meant! I was referring to myself when I said a word novice! Only the fellow part applies to Mr. Stu since we are all in the same community!

I apologize if that came out differently than originally intended!

Ha Ha. I didn't even think twice about it! In truth, I do consider myself a novice compared to some of the other collectors here (even though the first few books in my collection were acquired in the early 1980s). I'll remove myself from official novice status when I have every state and impression of the Longmans Hobbit.
7 Dec, 2017
2017-12-7 6:28:41 AM UTC

Eorl wrote:
The Antiquarian... that’s the nicest response ever :)

It was clear to me what you meant, but I can see where the confusion might have been.

Anyway, I think you should be able to get the Beren & Luthien deluxe edition for about USD 70 if you’re lucky. I overpaid a little bit but I rushed to get a 1st/1st. I’m sorry I can’t help with whether they’ve reached 2nd impressions. Perhaps a message to Harper Collins might clarify.

Thank you very much for your kind words!

I am perusing abehbooks.com to search for the Beren & Luthien deluxe edition, but being abroad at the moment, the hefty shipping is an unavoidable expense. However, that will not deter me!

Stu wrote:

Ha Ha. I didn't even think twice about it! In truth, I do consider myself a novice compared to some of the other collectors here (even though the first few books in my collection were acquired in the early 1980s). I'll remove myself from official novice status when I have every state and impression of the Longmans Hobbit.

Mr. Stu, you don't have to be so modest :)

By the way, I see that several of the folks here and on Reddit are talking about Longmans Hobbit. May I ask how much the first and second impression of Longmans Hobbits are worth in current market?
7 Dec, 2017 (edited)
2017-12-7 11:41:14 AM UTC

The_Antiquarian wrote:

By the way, I see that several of the folks here and on Reddit are talking about Longmans Hobbit. May I ask how much the first and second impression of Longmans Hobbits are worth in current market?

I assume you are referring to the Pleasure in Reading edition, http://tolkienbooks.net/php/details.php?reference=21450, as there are other Longman's Hobbits.

It is very hard to say regarding value, as only 12 copies are currently known, https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... =ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0, though as it went to two printings, more must be around and may eventually come to market, though in this case with so small a number the impression, 1st or 2nd, does not apply in terms of value.

If I were to guess that as a maximum 120 copies are still in existence, 10 times the copies we know about, then this would still be the rarest English language hardback edition of The Hobbit.

It is very difficult to set a market value for a book, when only 12 copies are currently known, and in this case, condition is very important if you look at the two copies in my collection (pictured below), the one on the left is in good condition, and the copy on the right is in poor condition, as it has no spine.

There are least two better copies than my good condition copy, and rarity does not equate with value for a book like this, so IMHO I would say about £300 for the copy on the right, and £600 for the copy on the left, and a fine copy £1500.

10_5a2925c998c64.jpg 1496X1080 px
7 Dec, 2017
2017-12-7 11:53:10 AM UTC

If I were to guess that as a maximum 120 copies are still in existence, 10 times the copies we know about, then this would still be the rarest English language edition of The Hobbit.

What about this English Language Edition (Indian Printing) - The Blackie Hobbit

http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/details.php?reference=21550
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us