Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

25 Feb, 2018
2018-2-25 2:16:37 PM UTC
No, let's not have a new topic. I'm calling you out here.

Let's get straight. These have been sold by HC as signed by CT & Ted. And this carries no weight in a discussion between someone (you) who claims they're not signed by CT & another (me) who belives that they are?

The onus is clearly on you to provide evidence that these signatures are not CTs. You have this I assume? And you provide COAs, correct? It's your professional opinion that these are fake; you've stated this in your previous post.
This is almost certainly not signed by Christopher Tolkien, but by the publisher on his behalf. We know this publisher well having worked with them ourselves. The signature is obviously not his.
If I contact HC I assume they'll confirm what you've said, correct? And if they confirm that they were signed by CT we can expect you to accept this?

BH
25 Feb, 2018
2018-2-25 2:23:08 PM UTC
Here's a little tidbit related to my previous post. Professor Tolkien was not a household name when Allen & Unwin published his early editions. Like most publishers or businesses, written records took up space and were only kept long enough for tax purposes before being thrown out. With them, lots of first hand correspondence from both sides. How do I know, my old boss worked as an accountant for A&U and he threw them out! So where does all this publishing information now come from, nearly all is hearsay from people who worked at the printers as floor sweepers or other related companies. Its amazing how much fact and evidence comes out, after someone becomes a household name. Tolkien was hardly known in his early days, was not a bestseller in his own country, UK, or the rest of the world until the late 60's in America and the publication of the LotR paperbacks. What has happen just the last decade or so is the internet has revealed how little we do know about Tolkien, the printings and the inspiration for his works. He was a private man and expressed little during his lifetime. Since then, plenty of wananabe scholars have had lots to say, on very little real information. An officially supported biopic would go a long way, but we won't get it.
25 Feb, 2018
2018-2-25 2:29:38 PM UTC
Some people (unlike your "old boss") copied this stuff before it was binned. HC also inherited some of the records; they're still there. To suggest everything out there that you disagree with is meaningless collector talk is clearly nonsense. Plus, this information vacuum is the same source of your expert knowledge; so clearly you're not to be believed either if your theory made any sense to begin with...

BH
25 Feb, 2018 (edited)
2018-2-25 2:36:54 PM UTC
Others can read what I have written, you don't need to cut and paste out of context. I'm absolutely certain HC will say these books were signed by CT, whether they were or not, as collectors paid good money for them! Yes, it is my professional opinion this edition shown was not actually signed by Christopher and as soon as you produce a letter from him, not HC, stating he signed them, I'll recant my opinion. In the meantime, as officially signed collectors editions, I hold to my original post that they are valuable, contrary to the OP, but I'll add, not as valuable as books actually signed by CT.
25 Feb, 2018
2018-2-25 2:44:17 PM UTC
That is absolutely Christopher Tolkien's signature. He employs two different signature styles: one for correspondence and personal signings/inscriptions, and another (as here) for impersonal/mass signings. I have examples of both in my collection, and a statement about the two styles from Christopher himself.

Moreover, I bought my brother a copy of this edition for his wedding present, and I can tell you based on that as well that it is entirely legit.
25 Feb, 2018
2018-2-25 2:51:13 PM UTC
Come Aelfwine, what on earth do you know? Who even are you? Mark is the handwriting expert here. You'd think by the way you're talking you knew something about Tolkien manuscripts or had corresponded with Christopher. Pff.

BH
25 Feb, 2018 (edited)
2018-2-25 2:52:52 PM UTC
Mark,

Before you come back and ask, why should anyone take any notice of Aelfwine's comment, however I think it is common knowledge, who Aelfwine is?

If not, I am sure he would not mind me revealing his secret identity.

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Carl_F._Hostetter

Possibly in your 30 years experience, you may have come across him.

Have you grouped him into There are certain regular users on this forum quite naive about Tolkien collectible values and the history. Its shows mostly they are ignorant, not real collectors and find any price above the original cover price "too expensive".
25 Feb, 2018
2018-2-25 2:54:45 PM UTC
Or surely had an online argument with him at least...

BH
25 Feb, 2018
2018-2-25 3:27:47 PM UTC
What do you mean by THAT?! GRRRR, why I oughta...

25 Feb, 2018
2018-2-25 3:32:55 PM UTC
Are you really argumentative too?
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us