Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
Blackwell's
ebay.com
ebay.co.uk

-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Sep 18, 2018
2018/9/18 20:22:20 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Thanks for the info!
Sep 20, 2018
2018/9/20 4:44:53 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I’m thinking of recording a The Fall of Gondolin audiobook for fun and for friends. Any suggestions of appropriate selections for title music and underscoring? Not necessarily anything Tolkien-inspired. Perhaps a cello concerto — something by turns muscular and melancholy?
Sep 20, 2018
2018/9/20 20:23:30 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
As a cellist myself, I think your suggestion is certainly a good one! There are plenty of concertos both muscular and melancholy, particularly those of the Romantic era. Elgar is an obvious choice, especially since it's English. Schumann is a particular favorite of mine. Dvorak, Herbert, Lalo, Saint-Saens...
Sep 20, 2018
2018/9/20 21:05:32 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Thanks, I’ll dive into Elgar first. Specific favorites?
Sep 20, 2018
2018/9/20 21:15:10 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I personally think audiobooks are best without music, especially with Tolkien's style of writing. Who could really make music that could match Ainulindalë's descriptive text for example? Having said that, I am a music lover and Elgar's Cello Concerto is one of the best in the genre! Du Pré all the way!
Jump to Last