Tolkien Collector's Guide
Sep 25, 2018
2018/9/25 3:57:03 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Stu wrote:
My FoG deluxe finally arrived. Looks marginally better in real life than in pictures, but that colour is definitely an odd pick. Definitely just a "sunk cost fallacy" purchase for me.

I feel the same way, that colour's not for me either. On a positive note, I'm loving the trade edition's endpapers!
Sep 25, 2018
2018/9/25 4:22:53 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Berelach wrote:

Stu wrote:
My FoG deluxe finally arrived. Looks marginally better in real life than in pictures, but that colour is definitely an odd pick. Definitely just a "sunk cost fallacy" purchase for me.

I feel the same way, that colour's not for me either. On a positive note, I'm loving the trade edition's endpapers!

The trade edition is a nicely done book, IMHO.
Sep 25, 2018
2018/9/25 4:33:51 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
The colour is indeed a unique one. But I don’t mind it. I was just glad it wasn’t another shade of blue/grey.

On the topic of which, the FCL deluxe will probably be red (the obvious Christmas colour besides green which has been used for B&L)? I don’t have LOTR. Is it red or more maroon-ish?
Sep 25, 2018
2018/9/25 13:39:14 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

On the topic of which, the FCL deluxe will probably be red (the obvious Christmas colour besides green which has been used for B&L)? I don’t have LOTR. Is it red or more maroon-ish?

LoTR is maroon. My guess is FCL will be to LoTR as B&L is to The Hobbit (dark, rich hue to more bright and vibrant). Knowing HC though, they'll probably want to expand their browns palette.
Sep 25, 2018
2018/9/25 14:35:27 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Snow white, please!
Sep 25, 2018
2018/9/25 15:40:17 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Oh I hope they don’t use brown for a Christmas themed book
Sep 25, 2018
2018/9/25 15:42:42 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Oh that would be beautiful I think. I hope at least for the inner book cover’s foil stamping they use a nice combination of red and silver instead of just sticking to regular gold.
Sep 25, 2018
2018/9/25 15:48:32 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Eorl wrote:
Oh that would be beautiful I think. I hope at least for the inner book cover’s foil stamping they use a nice combination of red and silver instead of just sticking to regular gold.

Completely agree
Sep 25, 2018
2018/9/25 15:53:15 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Well TFtPR had Gold and Red (maybe Silver too, been a while since I took it out of it's slipcase) so there is a presedence for at least two colors -- though I'm not sure HC would devote the extra cost to do that, without shipping the book off to China for printing/binding.

Kullervo is red, a color that would have looked nice on FCL. Suppose they could go with a little bit brighter red if they wanted to go the red route. Given the recent FoG color, I could see HC just throwing a dart at the color wheel and going with that.
Sep 25, 2018
2018/9/25 16:29:07 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Yes, the Alan Lee signed edition of Perilous Realm does have foil stamping in three colours as you recall (it’s why I suggested it for FCL :))
Jump to Last