Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

26 Oct, 2019
2019-10-26 2:58:52 PM UTC
BTW if anyone is interested in Chinese translation of Tolkien's books, I can post a new topic and provide some information.
26 Oct, 2019
2019-10-26 3:00:08 PM UTC

Lawrence wrote:
BTW if anyone is interested in Chinese translation of Tolkien's books, I can post a new topic and provide some information.

Please do
26 Oct, 2019
2019-10-26 3:08:15 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

Lawrence wrote:

Please do

I second that, that would be an interesting topic indeed.
26 Oct, 2019
2019-10-26 3:52:04 PM UTC
Karl, I think that's the whole point of this one, to make it 'similar, yet different' than the rest. It's like "you know what our deluxe editions are like, Well, here's a "Christmas-ized" version!
26 Oct, 2019
2019-10-26 3:57:08 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:
Karl, I think that's the whole point of this one, to make it 'similar, yet different' than the rest. It's like "you know what our deluxe editions are like, Well, here's a "Christmas-ized" version!

I agree, I like this edition.
26 Oct, 2019
2019-10-26 4:24:28 PM UTC

Lawrence wrote:

I'd love to know about the history of Tolkien Chinese translations, especially in regards to when simplified/traditional/cantonese (etc.?) versions came out.
26 Oct, 2019 (edited)
2019-10-26 7:58:59 PM UTC

Lawrence wrote:
"I assume this is a forum dedicated to books collecting alone and therefore it would be most appreciated if you could withhold your political opinions to yourself"

I still think this request (which let's be honest, is really a demand) vastly exceeds your rights as a user that has essentially no track record of engaging with this forum (that was your third post). Jeremy or one of my fellow moderators gets to make that call - you don't. Otherwise, you could have simply had the courtesy to PM one of them or myself.

(Edit: There will be some kind of policy defined on what is valid political discourse and what is not, but it is unlikely that *on-topic* mention of political matters [such as this] will be prohibited, so long as it isn't needlessly inflammatory. I expect Jeremy will update and link to the policy once it has been established).
27 Oct, 2019
2019-10-27 8:41:17 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:

I actually think they probably made the right call to do things a a little differently with this one. The prior deluxe editions are rather serious looking, and I think this material in that format would have been a little strange (taking itself too seriously, basically). I'm glad they switched things around a little here, as I wouldn't have ordered it if it has been just another by-the-numbers paper-covered boards in a random different colour effort. Of course proof is in the holding, and I don't have it my hands as yet.
28 Oct, 2019
2019-10-28 8:54:40 AM UTC
You may be interested to know what is new (compare to the 1999 and 2012 editions that I considered the most complete until now) :

- a scan of an introductive letter from Tolkien explaining this family custom (letter not complete and without a transcription)
- the envelope of 1929, with a new arctic sentence from the Polar Bear (cf. lambengolmor list where my friend Damien post for me about it)
- a PS from the bear for the 1924 letter to John (cf. below also)
- a new envelope for 1931 (nothing particular there, it's just the missing one that comes with one of the two letters for this year)
- 3 dedications from Father Christmas (Love from FC, etc.) for various years (sorry, I didn't noted which one)
- a struck out list of presents, commented by the Polar Bear, at the back of his 1936 letter
- a message from Polar Bear in 1941

It's from far the most complete edition, but it lacks two or three back of envelopes present in old editions (it's only details, though).

Two remarks about the existing pieces :
- the PS of Polar Bear in the 1925 letter in the old editions is in fact a PS for the 1924 letter to Michael, the twin of the new one to John I mentioned above.
- p. 64-65, the pages 2 and 3 of the letter are reversed (page 3 before page 2)
29 Oct, 2019
2019-10-29 6:21:44 PM UTC
Trotter wrote:
Please do

Lokki wrote:
I second that, that would be an interesting topic indeed.

Thank you for your support!

Berelach wrote:
I'd love to know about the history of Tolkien Chinese translations, especially in regards to when simplified/traditional/cantonese (etc.?) versions came out.

Thanks for your insightful question. I'll start writing in a few days
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us