Tolkien Collector's Guide
Nov 20
2020/11/20 23:03:25 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

onthetrail wrote:

Not eBay but not starting a new thread for it.

What do you all think about the rebinding and the price on this The Lord of the Rings set? I don't know much on price but I just think the life has been rebound out of this set until it is pretty boring. My opinion only of course.

I don't love it. If I was rebinding, I'd personally be going for something a bit less overdone - more like the SD CoH. Equally, I have seen plenty of way worse rebinds. Personally, rebinding is not my thing - the interest is in the originality.
Nov 20 (edited)
2020/11/20 23:52:05 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I understand your point Stu regarding originality.
Nevertheless, I found last week a good set of First editions (2/2/1) without the DJ for £200 and I think I would like to rebind them.
Personally I like that kind of rebinding you've posted onthetrail.
Maybe I would like different patterns for each of the books. And a spine a bit less busy. But I like the emboss horizontal lines on the spines, and the thin gold foils lines on the end papers edges.

Regarding the 2nd imp of the FotR : i'm quite surprised about the difference of paper quality between this and a 5th printing I own. The ink impression is more sharp on the 2nd, paper texture more subtile, and the paper used for the map is also thicker. Same with TTT (versus another 5th imp I also own).

The 2nd imp of FotR is not made in octavo format : it's shorter than all the other impressions (except the first batch of the 7th imp). This is also something to consider for the rebinding : the book rebinder should rectify the gap by recentering the text block in order to match with the other 2, despite keeping the same height. If someone has some knowledge to share about rebinding, I'm all attentive
Nov 21
2020/11/21 0:28:04 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

emilien wrote:

I understand your point Stu regarding originality.
Nevertheless, I found last week a good set of First editions (2/2/1) without the DJ for £200 and I think I would like to rebind them.
Personally I like that kind of rebinding you've posted onthetrail.
Maybe I would like different patterns for each of the books. And a spine a bit less busy. But I like the emboss horizontal lines on the spines, and the thin gold foils lines on the end papers edges.

Regarding the 2nd imp of the FotR : i'm quite surprised about the difference of paper quality between this and a 5th printing I own. The ink impression is more sharp on the 2nd, paper texture more subtile, and the paper used for the map is also thicker. Same with TTT (versus another 5th imp I also own).

The 2nd imp of FotR is not made in octavo format : it's shorter than all the other impressions (except the first batch of the 7th imp). This is also something to consider for the rebinding : the book rebinder should rectify the gap by recentering the text block in order to match with the other 2, despite keeping the same height. If someone has some knowledge to share about rebinding, I'm all attentive


Good point regarding the resizing of the page blocks to get uniformity. I think rebinding totally makes sense for a set of books at £200, just not so much once the price gets too much higher. Although there is scope to produce something really wonderful with a bit of (restrained) imagination. I personally like hubs (but not too many), but prefer to avoid any gilt except for titles and a single motif of some kind. Basically I want my rebinds to look nothing like Easton Press if I ever do any!
Nov 21
2020/11/21 7:53:50 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Sorry to ask, but what is "ffp", in the Oxford Poetry volume ?
Nov 21 (edited)
2020/11/21 8:37:42 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
first/front free end paper (usually ffep).
Nov 21
2020/11/21 8:54:30 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Stu wrote:

first free end paper (usually ffep).

Druss wrote: Sorry to ask, but what is "ffp", in the Oxford Poetry volume ?

This was my error, as non-native speaker it's sometimes a little bit difficult to find exact and correct expressions - sorry
Nov 21
2020/11/21 9:06:14 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
For those interested there is a glossary of book collecting terms here which is really well made and usefull :

https://www.biblio.com/book_collecting_terminology/
Nov 21
2020/11/21 11:01:27 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

emilien wrote:

For those interested there is a glossary of book collecting terms here which is really well made and usefull :

https://www.biblio.com/book_collecting_terminology/

Thank you, very useful!

I must say that I read TCG's posts since some months ago, and every day I learn something new about Tolkien and the world of collecting. So many thanks to the creator of this website and to all the users that foster the discussion with such dedication
Nov 21
2020/11/21 23:00:08 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Turns out there isn't a huge market for tatty 1942 BC Hobbits. Price steadily dropped from £900 (IIRC). I think the condition on this one is just a bit too poor for most collectors, even though they are very scarce.

Seller: blueprimarycolour (678)
Ended Nov 21, 2020
£300.00
[0 Bids]
Submitted by: Stu
Nov 21
2020/11/21 23:03:34 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Ithildin wrote:

Stu wrote:

first free end paper (usually ffep).

Druss wrote: Sorry to ask, but what is "ffp", in the Oxford Poetry volume ?

This was my error, as non-native speaker it's sometimes a little bit difficult to find exact and correct expressions - sorry

Nothing to apologise for!
Jump to Last