Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

7 Feb, 2021
2021-2-7 7:53:07 PM UTC

MattJH wrote:

Khamûl -- Fair question. I requested a return and he approved it, but I'd rather just sell it and move on from this aggravating experience. I don't want to talk to him or deal with him. I trusted he'd send me something that was worth what I paid, but his description of the book was not at all accurate and he didn't seem to see any problem with what he sent me. If I return it, the same thing will happen to someone else. At least if someone buys it off of me, they'll know exactly what they're getting. I know I'll lose money doing this. Lesson learned, I guess.

That sounds like a reasonable reason. Of course, putting it back into circulation via eBay also means that it might be bought by another unscrupulous seller, though most people won't buy sigh unseen, unless from a "reputable" dealer, so the risk of this being offloaded dishonestly in the future is probably lower if an eBay random buys it.

I'd love to hear Tolkienshop's side of things, but based purely off the information provided here, I wouldn't be buying anything from him.
7 Feb, 2021
2021-2-7 8:32:23 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

Emilien wrote:

1st printing is not that common. And expensive when identified as such.
But this one is so undesirable that anyone should not bid on it...

Worth saying there are 3,000 of them, so it also isn't exactly uncommon.

Uncommon was not the right word. I would just say that it is not seen so often those days...
7 Feb, 2021
2021-2-7 8:45:29 PM UTC

Emilien wrote:

Stu wrote:

Emilien wrote:

1st printing is not that common. And expensive when identified as such.
But this one is so undesirable that anyone should not bid on it...

Worth saying there are 3,000 of them, so it also isn't exactly uncommon.

Uncommon was not the right word. I would just say that it is not seen so often those days...

Yeah, I agree, they don't come up for sale especially often at the moment (not that I'm particularly keeping an eye out).
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us