Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

25 Jan, 2019
2019-1-25 8:19:02 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

JLangh wrote:
Very cool! I didn't know there was a Billing second impression! I thought Billings was considered the "second impression" after the Export then went back again to Clowes and Sons for the Domestic 2nd. Sadly no, Tolkienbooks.net has plenty of great info but none of the textual inconsistencies! I thought to myself, "well I can't expect them to do all the work for me can I?" ... 6 hours of googling later I was posting on here as well as purchasing The Descriptive Bibliography by Hammond

You want to be using the word "state", not "impression". Both Clowes and Billings have multiple states of the first impression, but these states are all first impressions. There are, of course, also later impressions.

Gotcha, good to know! Multiple impressions, with multiple states
25 Feb, 2021
2021-2-25 11:19:50 AM UTC
Hi, I am taking up this thread beacuse I have a question related to this topic: I just received an Export paper binding, being it the second variant according to http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/details2.php?id=725 I thought that it would have had the corrected full stop after Feanor and the non italicized "and", but I found out that it has the corrected "and" with the still missing full stop after Feanor as in the Export cloth variant, so I asked myself if paper binding exports have also different states, does a second variant export with the 2 errors corrected (like in the domestic billing first state) exist or not ? Thanks in advance.

P.S. Does indeed a cloth BCA exist ? may I ask what are the main reasons to think so ?
25 Feb, 2021
2021-2-25 5:05:25 PM UTC
The error/correction combination you've just described as "I found out that it has the corrected "and" with the still missing full stop after Feanor as in the Export cloth variant" is (unless I'm reading you incorrectly) the "minor textual differences" that Neil mentions. It's the second (known) textual state. There are, of course, paper-covered binding variants with first state text too.

But, if you are asking whether Clowes corrected both of these and bound these as first impression (copyright page) copies, then the answer is: not that I've seen. They did, of course, correct both in the/their (marked) second impression.

Are there any cloth-bound BCA copies? is a good question. Never found any, but it wouldn't be particularly surprising if there were binding variants like that out there.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us