Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

5 Mar, 2021
2021-3-5 7:46:14 AM UTC
To be honest, the brass dies aren't that expensive. They are just produced from a CAD file or an image file. Cost varies based on size, but would probably be $100 or so.
5 Mar, 2021
2021-3-5 7:48:09 AM UTC
5 Mar, 2021
2021-3-5 8:21:47 AM UTC
Just to inform that I wanted to order the basic version, but the only country available for shipping in the checkout is United Kingdom and I'm in France. If Merlin Unwin read that, could you tell me how to order to ship to France, please ?
5 Mar, 2021
2021-3-5 8:22:00 AM UTC
You can also now buy it from the publishers, https://merlinunwin.co.uk/collections/ ... in?variant=34339769450627

but it is cheaper with free worldwide shipping from Book Depository as Stu pointed out

You also usually get a 5% discount for orders over £45, which is why I think you can't order the special edition directly.
5 Mar, 2021
2021-3-5 8:28:29 AM UTC

Druss wrote:

Just to inform that I wanted to order the basic version, but the only country available for shipping in the checkout is United Kingdom and I'm in France. If Merlin Unwin read that, could you tell me how to order to ship to France, please ?

Did you try the Book Depository https://www.bookdepository.com/George- ... ayner-Unwin/9781873674376
5 Mar, 2021 (edited)
2021-3-5 8:45:14 AM UTC
Hello everyone,

Many thanks for your interest in both the trade edition of George, Allen & Unwin and also the special edition. I'll try to answer all your questions:

The trade edition has been printed on 90gsm Munken premium bookwove paper, it has grey endpapers and black and white head and tail bands. The jacket is printed on 150gsm gloss art paper.

The Special Edition is the same trade edition, but will be numbered with a tipped-in book plate signed by Rayner's son, Merlin Unwin. The Special Edition will be presented in a hand-made black buckram slipcase, lined with grey suede, and with gold foil blocking of the George Allen & Unwin colophon by the Victorian artist and book illustrator Walter Crane.

If you you have emailed us about the Special Edition, we will be responding to all your emails today. If you email over the weekend, we will respond to you on Monday.

Our website is, unfortunately, only able to take orders for delivery to a UK address. However, if you live outside the UK and you want the regular trade edition, please email us on [email protected] and we will contact you with the shipping options, ie either airmail or courier and the cost. Please make sure you make it clear that you want the trade edition and include your address details so that we can get a quote for shipping at cost. If you choose the airmail shipping option it will be at your own risk.

As some of you have pointed out, it may be cheaper to buy the trade edition from another website although as the book only arrived in our warehouse yesterday, it might take a bit longer from another seller.

I'll keep checking this site to answer any more questions that come up.

Kind regards
Merlin Unwin Books
5 Mar, 2021
2021-3-5 8:53:01 AM UTC
Could you post some photos of the Special edition and the slipcase on the site, when you get a copy back from the book binders?

You have an option when you post to upload photos.

Thanks for doing this.
5 Mar, 2021
2021-3-5 10:11:42 AM UTC
Trotter - of course! As soon as we can get one from Ludlow Book Binders we'll post photos - possibly by the end of next week.

Kind regards
Merlin Unwin Books
5 Mar, 2021
2021-3-5 1:28:00 PM UTC
Just spoke with a very kind woman on the phone at M-U Books and she reserved a copy of both editions for me.
5 Mar, 2021
2021-3-5 1:43:16 PM UTC
I also sent an email for the Special Edition.

For those in the US, Book Depository might be a good option for the standard edition ($38.78 with free shipping): https://www.bookdepository.com/George- ... &qid=1614951711149&sr=1-1
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us