Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

19 Mar, 2021
2021-3-19 10:47:07 AM UTC
You're welcome, César! We hope you enjoy our books.

We were surprised the first time Blackwell's shipped by DHL. But no doubt it's as much protection for them, to have fewer instances of damaged books to replace at overseas rates, as it is for the customer, so good business practice all around. We're also glad of the consistency of their shipping, having had years of Amazon UK experimenting with the cheapest (for them) methods of posting and packing. Book Depository, although owned by Amazon, tend to send books singly or in small packages, in sturdy wrapping, if without the greater care of Blackwell's packers.

Wayne & Christina
19 Mar, 2021
2021-3-19 5:23:43 PM UTC
I've been relying on international book shipping a lot while in Australia this last year and want to reiterate what others have said about the delays caused by COVID. In many cases books (including from Australia distributors who ultimately have to source from US or UK) are taking 1–2 months longer than expected.
19 Mar, 2021
2021-3-19 9:52:24 PM UTC
Thank you for the good wishes and the very useful tips, Wayne & Christina!

Thank you for sharing your experience, James Tauber. I'll wait patiently for the books to arrive.
30 Mar, 2021
2021-3-30 10:04:22 AM UTC
As a new data point: I just got a Blackwell's package that I ordered 16 days ago (including the de luxe illustrated Silmarillion). That is *very* impressive given my experience the last year here in rural Australia with other booksellers. Note that at the time of ordering, the Silmarillion was listed as dispatching on 18 March (12 days ago), and all other books were listed as dispatching within 48 hours (so effectively in stock).
30 Mar, 2021
2021-3-30 4:54:20 PM UTC
Another data point: I ordered the deluxe and standard editions to the US. The deluxe came via DHL in perfect condition. The standard edition came via USPS with significant damage.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us