Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

18 Mar, 2021
2021-3-18 8:35:38 PM UTC
I don't think that was their fault. It was likely because it was in the mail.

....unless Amazon's shoddy packaging is starting to bleed over to Book Depository!
18 Mar, 2021
2021-3-18 8:55:45 PM UTC

Philomythos wrote:

Book Depository never fails to disappoint. *sigh*

BD are good at sorting replacements without any trouble. I'm not convinced that damage wasn't caused in the warehouse, tbh. Edit: Ahh, unless it was one of those crappy cardboard envelopes, and they did it shoving it into the envelope?
18 Mar, 2021
2021-3-18 11:38:08 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:

unless Amazon's shoddy packaging is starting to bleed over to Book Depository!

Stu wrote:

Ahh, unless it was one of those crappy cardboard envelopes, and they did it shoving it into the envelope?

It was, and I am virtually certain that it happened from them "shoving it into the envelope". I don't think this damage is likely to have happened in transit (i.e., from the mail carrier), especially given that the cardboard was in no way bumped or damaged. In any case, this is now the fifth time something like this has happened to my orders from them, and whether it's due to warehouse mishandling or packaging problems is sort of subordinate, in my view, to the fact that a company that sells books ought to be able to deliver one in the condition it promises when the thing is sold. As the old saying goes, fool me five times… and I'll order from somebody else.

I certainly agree with you that they are "good at sorting replacements without any trouble", but I'd really rather not have to go through the process every time, and also I just hate to see what would be a perfectly good book go to waste because of simple mishandling.
18 Mar, 2021
2021-3-18 11:49:44 PM UTC
Unfortunate. Not defending BD, but stuff can happen BECAUSE of transit - which wasn't the case here, sadly.
19 Mar, 2021
2021-3-19 12:13:31 AM UTC

It was, and I am virtually certain that it happened from them "shoving it into the envelope". I don't think this damage is likely to have happened in transit (i.e., from the mail carrier), especially given that the cardboard was in no way bumped or damaged. In any case, this is now the fifth time something like this has happened to my orders from them, and whether it's due to warehouse mishandling or packaging problems is sort of subordinate, in my view, to the fact that a company that sells books ought to be able to deliver one in the condition it promises when the thing is sold. As the old saying goes, fool me five times… and I'll order from somebody else.

I certainly agree with you that they are "good at sorting replacements without any trouble", but I'd really rather not have to go through the process every time, and also I just hate to see what would be a perfectly good book go to waste because of simple mishandling.

Oh, I totally agree. I've mostly done OK with BD as they often (but not always) seem to bulk ship to NZ and then re-pack and send from Auckland. The odd times they haven't, I have had books either mildly damaged or in one case that I remember totally destroyed. I think the only way you can be sure of getting undamaged books it to pay full price and use sellers like Blackwells. With discount bulk retailers, it is a gamble that sometimes pays off and often doesn't, no matter who the seller is (they are all terrible, basically).

All the damage I have had so far has been due to totally inadequate packing for transit. Haven't had one damaged by being put into the envelope (so far).
19 Mar, 2021
2021-3-19 5:07:58 AM UTC
Yes, I think I’ll go the Blackwells route (vel sim.) from now on, at least for purchases of special importance. I think the reason this one grieved me more than usual (hence my complaining on here) was in part because I was so stoked to finally get this book, which I never thought I’d have access to (having long watched the old print on the market for never less than $1,000). Having shown the damage to my spouse and gotten the response that “it’s just a dust jacket,” I came on here to share with folks who would at least understand the grievance. But, all that aside, I’m truly very pleased with the book itself and am glad to finally have it in my collection.
19 Mar, 2021
2021-3-19 11:37:19 AM UTC
Philomythos

Really sorry to hear that your dust jacket was damaged. We ordered a few spare and would be happy to post one out to you. Postage would be free of charge if you're in the UK, but we would have to charge to postage at cost if you're overseas. Email: [email protected] if you would like to take this offer up.

Kind regards
Merlin Unwin Books
19 Mar, 2021
2021-3-19 1:01:21 PM UTC
Oh, that’s very kind of you, thanks! I’ll send an email.
19 Mar, 2021
2021-3-19 1:04:19 PM UTC
I still wait for my (limited) copy and hopefully won’t need such offer. Nevertheless, this is very generous of you - respect ???

Just would like to ask if the print run of this limited edition (50 copies) is integrated in the complete print size of 300 copies or if it is an add on?
19 Mar, 2021
2021-3-19 1:18:56 PM UTC
Ithildin The 50 copies are part of the 300 copies.

Philomythos We'll look out for your email.

Best regards
Merlin Unwin Books
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us