Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

10 Apr, 2021
2021-4-10 11:31:11 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

Ithildin wrote:

So the print run of 4000 copies is almost sold out in less than one month for Sil. Looking at the new publication of LotR, it seems possible that this will be just like that, although the print run for the 1st printing will be higher, because of an increased prominence.

Seems odd, given the UT is still available six months later.

I wonder what HC means by "almost out" does that mean they have 1000 left, 500 left, 5 left...?
10 Apr, 2021
2021-4-10 11:36:06 AM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Stu wrote:

Ithildin wrote:

So the print run of 4000 copies is almost sold out in less than one month for Sil. Looking at the new publication of LotR, it seems possible that this will be just like that, although the print run for the 1st printing will be higher, because of an increased prominence.

I wonder what HC means by "almost out" does that mean they have 1000 left, 500 left, 5 left...?

Also, HC being almost out doesn't mean the retailers are almost out, of course.
10 Apr, 2021
2021-4-10 12:30:37 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Stu wrote:

Ithildin wrote:

Also, HC being almost out doesn't mean the retailers are almost out, of course.

Yeah I think this is the key point. HC can have sold out but retailers will have plenty.

And some international retailers will still have the faulty 1st long after a second is issued. Imo HC should recall the remaining stock from retailers, but that's just my take on it.
10 Apr, 2021
2021-4-10 1:02:07 PM UTC
In a perfect world they would recall them. I doubt they will but they could distribute erratum slips to retailers and to customers as well, to be posted when requested via the website. This would be a good will gesture. At least no actual text is lost in this error - one just needs to skip the erroneous lines until the correct sentence is taken up, on the penultimate line I think.
10 Apr, 2021
2021-4-10 1:32:51 PM UTC
They should also do this for the sole purpose of us having just one other tiny thing to collect...
10 Apr, 2021
2021-4-10 2:18:49 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

HarperCollins have replied and thanked everyone for pointing out the error.

Unfortunately we have almost sold out of the first print runs of both editions, so can’t very well do much about those now, but we should be able to catch the reprint.

Excellent, glad to know that it'll be somewhat revised prior to the reprint. Though, here's hoping that more errors don't pop-up, whack-a-mole style: one gone, another one or two appearing.... Hope the dustjackets for Unfinished Tales and The Silmarillion will be corrected, as well (the creasing issue on the front flap's fold)
10 Apr, 2021
2021-4-10 10:01:59 PM UTC
Tbh, this is quite a bad error (though I'm not bothered about it being in my copy, personally -- not like I'll ever read that one...). They should be editing using track changes and then having a second person review it and accept the changes. This pretty much eliminates mistakes like this.
10 Apr, 2021
2021-4-10 11:05:41 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

Tbh, this is quite a bad error (though I'm not bothered about it being in my copy, personally -- not like I'll ever read that one...). They should be editing using track changes and then having a second person review it and accept the changes. This pretty much eliminates mistakes like this.

I agree with you Stu. It's amazing to me that a big publishing house like HC could let a pretty sizable mistake like this slip through the cracks. Neither one of these new copies are readers for me either (I have an old PB for that) so I probably never would have noticed.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us