Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

15 Apr, 2021
2021-4-15 7:20:41 PM UTC
Tolkien has been known to read some stuff from the 1900s. Ie: I believe he read Dune.
16 Apr, 2021
2021-4-16 9:52:39 AM UTC
I didn't wait for reviews; I went ahead and bought the book.

Usually when I pick up a new book on Tolkien the first thing I do is look at the bibliography at the back; this tells me what the book's author has read. (this worked with me for Raymond Edwards' biography of Tolkien, some years ago).

This trick didn't serve me for this book; (I bought a copy without having seen it) but just dipping into it, I see the vast range of reading which Dr. Ordway has undertaken in order to write her book, ranging from (eg) references to interviews with Tolkien, and also to online content (by Dimitra Fimi for example - I was pointed towards a blog post by Dimitra on Tolkien on 1930s radio, which I found an entertaining, short read)

The bibliography in Ordway's book is vast, and comprehensive - I get a degree of satisfaction ticking off the books/articles which I have in my collection (I find myself putting down Ordway's book to go and look up something else) - and a sense of curiosity whenever I see something I'm not familiar with.

And there are footnotes! Handily arranged at the back of the book, by refs. to page nos. as well as chapter numbers.

Plus, for anyone who may be concerned about these sort of things, Ordway includes a list of names in her acknowledgements page which includes all the 'usual suspects'.

And this is not to mention the content, which I find cogently argued and well-written.
All in all, an excellent book - I recommend it.
17 Apr, 2021
2021-4-17 4:32:53 AM UTC
I'm also curious about Wayne and Christina's review.

I checked out their review on Tolkien's Library and it pretty much agrees with that Ordway said in her interview.
17 Apr, 2021
2021-4-17 8:00:25 AM UTC
I would like to widen the debate with my reply to Christina and Wayne ""The leaves were long the cover was green.

As for Ordway's book, and what she says about my work, I reserve to reply with the same attentions and courtesy.

Oronzo Cilli
17 Apr, 2021
2021-4-17 9:51:42 AM UTC
I have enjoyed your book Oronzo and find myself picking it up frequently. I love looking at other peoples bookshelves, particularly people that I admire. I understand that Ordway only wants evidence of what Tolkien actually read. But to my mind the fact that someone has acquired a book, purchased or borrowed it, or expressed an interest in it, even if they have only read part of the book or not read it at all, tells us something about that person, their interests and aspirations. I look forward to future editions.
17 Apr, 2021
2021-4-17 11:05:26 AM UTC

Ligandil wrote:

I'm also curious about Wayne and Christina's review.

I checked out their review on Tolkien's Library and it pretty much agrees with that Ordway said in her interview.

I have not read their C&W review because I had already started using Tolkieniano excellent book and never got to it but looking at the early pages I find now that Holly Ordway's chosen points of criticism are closely shadowing C&W's. I wouldn't say I find that compelling, for me I find it a little too on the nose. And as I say earlier in the thread I think her points are agreeable in the strictest sense, and strictest sense only. I don't however see that Oronzo including books that we are not 100% certain of being read as anything problematic. There are of course many entries in Tolkien's Library that I will never handle, but in almost all cases I have gotten something from the books I have gone on to read. I think if Oronzo had stuck rigidly to those proven beyond doubt to have been read, it would have proved too rigid, there has to be some assumption that a man read a book that was in his possession, or at least dipped into it.

Tolkieniano, I am a big fan of your book and am still using it and finding it incredibly useful. I look forward to seeing what you have in the works.
17 Apr, 2021
2021-4-17 12:10:07 PM UTC
Even if the scope of these two books seems to be similar, their aim, seems to me, to be quite different: Tolkieniano 's book is, succesfuly in my opinion, creating a useful catalogue of all the books that have crossed Tolkien's road helping other scholars in the research of a pattern. Ordway's book, on the other hand focuses on modern books whose influence on Tolkien can be attested and drives certain conclusions from this. Thus both interesting in their own way.

P.S. Another think they seem to have in common is for sure the amount of research and dedication required to achieve such objectives!
18 Apr, 2021
2021-4-18 4:35:36 AM UTC
Ciao, Oronzo, grazie mille per la tua risposta!

I really hope my words were not misinterpreted: I was not necessarily agreeing with that Ordway or H&C said, I was just pointing out their similarity. I read your reply, tolkieniano, and all your arguments are perfectly reasonable. I haven't had the chance to read your book yet, but I will definitely do so in the next weeks, and I very much look forward to it. Auguri per questa fantastica ricerca!

Additionally, I recently purchased your other book, J.R.R. Tolkien the Esperantist, from IBS, and right now it's on it's way from Italy to Costa Rica. This, together La Hobito, aŭ, Tien kaj Reen, will provide me many hours of Esperanto pleasure.
25 May, 2021
2021-5-25 12:39:48 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

I notice this from Scull & Hammond's blog https://wayneandchristina.wordpress.co ... otes-february-march-2021/

"Tolkien’s Modern Reading: Middle-earth beyond the Middle Ages by Holly Ordway. Word on Fire, 2021. Christina and I were sent a copy of this by the publisher, and have a separate review coming up in our blog."

Looking forward to the review to decide if I am going to get a copy

You can read the review on the blog https://wayneandchristina.wordpress.co ... /tolkiens-modern-reading/
25 May, 2021
2021-5-25 1:30:48 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

Trotter wrote:

I notice this from Scull & Hammond's blog https://wayneandchristina.wordpress.co ... otes-february-march-2021/

"Tolkien’s Modern Reading: Middle-earth beyond the Middle Ages by Holly Ordway. Word on Fire, 2021. Christina and I were sent a copy of this by the publisher, and have a separate review coming up in our blog."

Looking forward to the review to decide if I am going to get a copy

You can read the review on the blog https://wayneandchristina.wordpress.co ... /tolkiens-modern-reading/

It is a thorough and fair review. It touches on the positive aspects and takes Ordway to task on elements deserving of criticism. Quite a few I missed but upon reading their review I see more clearly. Like my own thoughts upon reading it W&C acknowledge it's usefulness and I look forward to adding the new information they gather from it to further expand their incredible and evolving Companion and Guide.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us