Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

28 Apr, 2021 (edited)
2021-4-28 7:24:32 AM UTC
I have collected Tolkien on and off for the last 30 years but this last year I have added a lot of rarer items. For me there are two reasons:
1. I have a lot more money when I can’t spend it on travel, clothes and restaurants.
2. This pandemic has reignited my love for Tolkien. The books give me comfort and a sense of stability. It is an escape and a way to return to things that has always brought a sense of wonder. A first edition LOTR almost becomes a sacred relic.

I made a mistake early on buying a Clowes domestic first Sil for 60$. I have become better informed since then. But doesn’t all collectors have items that might not have been a bargain? Could it be that more people are getting into collecting and thus make rookie mistakes that is just part of a normal learning curve.

Couldn’t care less about the Amazon thing.
28 Apr, 2021
2021-4-28 7:44:20 AM UTC

Khamûl wrote:

You got examples like this auction:

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: raela1
(1540)
Ended Apr 26, 2021
This item ended more than 90 days ago

Two bidders trading bids with the final high price of £62. The seller has literally said nothing about the book and has let the photographs speak for condition/edition, etc. It's unclear if this is first state Billing copy (if the bidders care); we don't know what that jacket spine looks like (conveniently not photographed); and the copy has a large P.O. signature (not what everone likes to see in their copy). Sure, it looks nice, but it's... just another Billing copy. And last year this really was just another £10-15 eBay item.

Based on the tiny bit of light reflection, I'm certain that spine is as faded as they come.. Total garbage -- a reading copy only.
28 Apr, 2021
2021-4-28 10:03:18 AM UTC
One question and forgive my ignorance. Which edition is truly the first, the national or the export one? I understand that the first version of the export edition is the first commercialized print.
28 Apr, 2021 (edited)
2021-4-28 12:32:06 PM UTC

Roäc wrote:

I have collected Tolkien on and off for the last 30 years but this last year I have added a lot of rarer items. For me there are two reasons:
1. I have a lot more money when I can’t spend it on travel, clothes and restaurants.
2. This pandemic has reignited my love for Tolkien. The books give me comfort and a sense of stability. It is an escape and a way to return to things that has always brought a sense of wonder. A first edition LOTR almost becomes a sacred relic.

I made a mistake early on buying a Clowes domestic first Sil for 60$. I have become better informed since then. But doesn’t all collectors have items that might not have been a bargain? Could it be that more people are getting into collecting and thus make rookie mistakes that is just part of a normal learning curve.

I too have been collecting on and off for 15 years or so. Mostly off when my daughter was small. In the early days of my collecting when I was in college, right around the time the Jackson films came out and some years after, I didn't know anything (certainly didn't know about Tolkienguide) I just went to the used book store every so often and bought what they had. But I have really gotten back into it over the past three years or so and made an effort to educate myself and being home all the time over the past year has given me more time to do that.

I guess that's a long winded way of saying I may be part of the problem you all speak of.
28 Apr, 2021
2021-4-28 12:57:27 PM UTC

Roäc wrote:

Great post! I absolutely agree with this .
28 Apr, 2021
2021-4-28 8:24:02 PM UTC
Seller: roundaboutbooks
(18361)
Ended Jun 18, 2021

Lol!

Also,
(18361)
Ended Jun 18, 2021
28 Apr, 2021
2021-4-28 8:46:49 PM UTC

Jlong wrote:

(18361)
Ended Jun 18, 2021

A rather odd thing to focus on for a Family Guy sale. It is not an entirely spurious mention though, the episode 'Sibling Rivalry' has a scene with the Eye of Sauron.
1 May, 2021
2021-5-1 7:12:19 AM UTC
Did they really print this card?

Seller: mrkaiser1993
(169)
Ended Jul 9, 2021
1 May, 2021
2021-5-1 5:21:49 PM UTC
I have one of this cards. I believes it’s part of a set of 20th century people.
1 May, 2021
2021-5-1 5:24:30 PM UTC
You would have thought that they checked on how to spell The Professor's name.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us