Tolkien Collector's Guide
Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

1...4344454647...162
16 Jul, 2021
2021-7-16 11:29:54 PM UTC
When in germany...

5187_60f2165c2bd6a.jpg 4032X3024 px
25 Jul, 2021
2021-7-25 11:37:44 AM UTC
This came in recently, bought on eBay for the (surprisingly) good price of £72:

205_60fd4cfcbddbe.jpeg 4032X3024 px

205_60fd4cfcbeec0.jpeg 4032X3024 px
25 Jul, 2021
2021-7-25 1:21:04 PM UTC
Excellent √Čarendel! I've been looking for this one with the dust wrapper for some time now.
25 Jul, 2021
2021-7-25 1:55:33 PM UTC
I got lucky in a way: the main picture of the listing (weirdly enough) only showed the book without the wrapper, which was probably the reason it didn’t got that much attention. I now also get why not that many wrappers survive, the paper is quite thin and fragile...
26 Jul, 2021
2021-7-26 9:48:44 PM UTC
Here are some items I've picked up recently that I'm particularly excited about.

I found this 6th state LOTR Boxset w/ 10th/8th/7th printings
As well as a set without dust wrappers from around the same time period (early 60's)

I also got a Sir Gawain from '52 (pictured here next to my 2nd '30. I had no idea the later printings were smaller)

I also found Essays and Studies '53 with a pretty good dust wrapper
And Fifty New Poems for Children - Appleton '24 The DJ has some loss on the spine but other than that it's all there!

5058_60ff2bab2cab1.jpg 3593X2200 px

5058_60ff2bab2d9ca.jpg 3024X2564 px

5058_60ff2bab2e864.jpg 3024X2558 px
26 Jul, 2021
2021-7-26 11:04:20 PM UTC
A nice haul, Mr Underhill. Interesting about the sizes there. I’ve not heard others mention that before.
27 Jul, 2021
2021-7-27 2:36:45 AM UTC

huan68 wrote:

A nice haul, Mr Underhill. Interesting about the sizes there. I’ve not heard others mention that before.

I looked in all the usual places and couldn't find anything about the size difference either.
27 Jul, 2021
2021-7-27 3:32:48 AM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

huan68 wrote:

A nice haul, Mr Underhill. Interesting about the sizes there. I’ve not heard others mention that before.

I looked in all the usual places and couldn't find anything about the size difference either.

Peter Jackson made people look like Hobbits with clever perspective shots. I reckon you are just looking at the wrong
27 Jul, 2021
2021-7-27 6:49:29 AM UTC
I had no idea Fifty New Poems for Children was also published with a dustjacket! Great additions, and surprised by the size difference between those Gawains.
27 Jul, 2021
2021-7-27 8:32:36 AM UTC

√Čarendel wrote:

I had no idea Fifty New Poems for Children was also published with a dustjacket! Great additions, and surprised by the size difference between those Gawains.

The American edition got the jacket. The UK editions didn't have one.
1...4344454647...162
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us