Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

The Gallant Edith Bratt

7 Aug, 2021 (edited)
2021-8-7 5:21:20 PM UTC

Who was Edith Bratt? Millions saw Hollywood's fantasy version of J.R.R. Tolkien's one and only love, Edith Bratt, in the 2019 movie, Tolkien. Fact, though, is stranger than fiction, and more interesting. Edith's story reveals a gallant heroine suffering under "The Shadow of the Past." Edith was Ronald's "lover," and much like her mother, Edith risked all for the man she loved. New research finds a financially independent and strong woman who was not only John Ronald's equal, but his muse, his anchor of stability in the present, and his hope for the future.

Publisher ‏ : ‎ Walking Tree Publishers (15 August 2021)
Language ‏ : ‎ English
Paperback ‏ : ‎ 286 pages
ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 3905703467
ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-3905703467

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated

The Gallant Edith Bratt: J.R.R. Tolkien's Inspiration

Walking Tree Publishers (2021-08-15)

$26.29 Blackwell's (paperback) - Availability: Unknown
$33.22 Biblio (Paperback / softback) - Availability: Click to check
$24.13 Amazon.com (Paperback) - Availability: Now
£8.84 Amazon.co.uk (Paperback) - Availability: Now
€30.40 Amazon.de (Paperback) - Availability: Now
£9.00 AbeBooks - Availability: Click to check
£12.96 eBay UK - Availability: Click to check

10_610ec87a37ad7.jpg 907X1360 px
8 Aug, 2021
2021-8-8 2:05:53 AM UTC
Nancy Bunting has a remarkable ... shall we say, talent? ... for turning "may" into "must" into "is". Caveat lector.
8 Aug, 2021
2021-8-8 5:01:13 AM UTC
If you are a member of the Tolkien Society, read the letter in #60 from Charles Noad on Nancy's hit piece from the previous issue "Checking the Facts".

I will not be getting this book but am looking forward to reviews from the scholars mentioned in her article about the facts in this book.
8 Aug, 2021
2021-8-8 6:53:39 AM UTC
Despite the doubts about Bunting writing's, I'm confident that the panel of reviewers of Walking Tree Publishers made their job well. Plus, maybe some of you remember, the text was already reviewed some months ago, when it was published as a long article in the Journal of Tolkien Research, before it was retracted, in order to published it in book form.
8 Aug, 2021
2021-8-8 7:24:08 AM UTC
I do remember the article now, it was full of mistakes which was why it was thought that it was withdrawn. Hopefully these have been corrected for the book release.
8 Aug, 2021
2021-8-8 12:53:17 PM UTC

Druss wrote:

Despite the doubts about Bunting writing's, I'm confident that the panel of reviewers of Walking Tree Publishers made their job well. Plus, maybe some of you remember, the text was already reviewed some months ago, when it was published as a long article in the Journal of Tolkien Research, before it was retracted, in order to published it in book form.

This is why I download everything for offline viewing. Anything that contains useful information is saved and then if it is removed later I have it.
8 Aug, 2021
2021-8-8 2:07:44 PM UTC
The article was not "retracted in order to publish it in book form"; it was retracted because it was full of (easily demonstrated) errors, some of which I demonstrated to the editors.
8 Aug, 2021
2021-8-8 2:54:21 PM UTC

Aelfwine wrote:

The article was not "retracted in order to publish it in book form"; it was retracted because it was full of (easily demonstrated) errors, some of which I demonstrated to the editors.

Was there not a replacement version posted on JoTR which was then removed?
8 Aug, 2021
2021-8-8 5:38:22 PM UTC
If so, it escaped my notice.
8 Aug, 2021 (edited)
2021-8-8 10:20:02 PM UTC
Must admit, from the blurb, it already feels like a stretch. But this kind of book is definitely not in my wheelhouse; Too many degrees of separation from the actual thing that matters to me about Tolkien - i.e. what he wrote. Everyone's mileage varies with these things, of course, and for some the man and his life is the interesting bit. For me, his Norse or (other) literary influences (for example) are interesting, because that's something of significance I can have fun exploring and find other things I enjoy. A rabbit-hole, if you will. Wife and/or other family members, truthfully not so much (every author is influenced to some degree by the people around them - unavoidable, I suspect).

That said, for those whose wheelhouse this aligns with, it is important that the facts are... facts. I think the sheer volume of peripheral Tolkien content means there are going to be some pretty flaky publications (more so than quality ones).
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us