-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

17 Aug, 2021
2021-8-17 12:09:15 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

Falkor wrote:

I didn’t know that was allowed on eBay, or wouldn’t impact rating

Berelach wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, I believe this seller does that sort of thing constantly.

Yeah, a lot of dealers do this as a matter of routine. They just mark it as unavailable for a bogus reason or due to an error in the listing. It is absolutely against the rules.

It may have changed but sellers used to have to state in their description if an item was for sale elsewhere. If they sold something off eBay then they could remove the item from sale. But it had to be stated explicitly. Now eBay wouldn't care if you were selling state secrets.
17 Aug, 2021
2021-8-17 12:15:33 AM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

Stu wrote:

Falkor wrote:

Berelach wrote:

Yeah, a lot of dealers do this as a matter of routine. They just mark it as unavailable for a bogus reason or due to an error in the listing. It is absolutely against the rules.

It may have changed but sellers used to have to state in their description if an item was for sale elsewhere. If they sold something off eBay then they could remove the item from sale. But it had to be stated explicitly. Now eBay wouldn't care if you were selling state secrets.

They would encourage you to sell state secrets if they were getting a cut. At the end of the day if they are making plenty of profit from a seller they aren't going to kick up a fuss about the odd auction being finished early. You can point them at flat-out fraud and they don't do anything about it.
17 Aug, 2021
2021-8-17 12:31:26 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

onthetrail wrote:

Stu wrote:

Falkor wrote:

Berelach wrote:

They would encourage you to sell state secrets if they were getting a cut. At the end of the day if they are making plenty of profit from a seller they aren't going to kick up a fuss about the odd auction being finished early. You can point them at flat-out fraud and they don't do anything about it.

Yep spot on. I used to sell quite a lot of concert posters on there and had them for sale on a dedicated poster site and I ended a few auctions early and never had so much as a warning. I stated it clearly of course but as I sold enough there for them to take their slice I was OK. Yet then I heard plenty of stories of reputable sellers having finished auctions refunded with no process whatsoever to determine that the buyer was taking the piss. They were always inconsistent.
17 Aug, 2021
2021-8-17 5:13:42 AM UTC
It’s unclear to me as to what the seller could hope to gain from withdrawing this listing as the price was quickly rising in a very short period of time. I would say that the book may have never been in their possession, except that the two other volumes of similar condition and age were also listed.
17 Aug, 2021
2021-8-17 5:28:27 AM UTC
They could put it into an auction at an Auction House where for higher priced items you can negotiate a lower fee than eBay.
They may have cancelled the auction and get the buyer to pay outside of eBay, no fees to pay.
Lots of reasons for this to happen.
17 Aug, 2021
2021-8-17 5:55:01 AM UTC
I see. Seems a risk no matter what, though. The seller may have lost the opportunity for a higher price without even knowing it by using this approach, not to mention a potential loss of credibility.
17 Aug, 2021
2021-8-17 6:37:36 AM UTC

Trotter wrote:

They could put it into an auction at an Auction House where for higher priced items you can negotiate a lower fee than eBay.
They may have cancelled the auction and get the buyer to pay outside of eBay, no fees to pay.
Lots of reasons for this to happen.

Yep, they likely just got an exceedingly good cash offer.
17 Aug, 2021
2021-8-17 6:47:33 AM UTC

Entshelm wrote:

I see. Seems a risk no matter what, though. The seller may have lost the opportunity for a higher price without even knowing it by using this approach, not to mention a potential loss of credibility.

Very common practice on eBay.
17 Aug, 2021
2021-8-17 1:13:20 PM UTC
This is one of the volumes I'm missing but I'm not in a position to bid at the moment. Looks like it's in good shape.

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: friendslibrary
(10443)
Ended Aug 23, 2021
This item ended more than 90 days ago
17 Aug, 2021
2021-8-17 9:04:10 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

Urulókë wrote:

Demis wrote:

What is your expectation on price for the fellowship? Does anyone here have any references of similar sales lately? Thank you

It is near £4000 already with nine days to go. I hazard a guess it will reach ~£10,000 or so in this current hot market.

Pick a random number. It only takes two people who happen to want to fight it out to generate a very high price. The next week the price might be totally different. I would also guess 10K or more.

Thank you for your feedback guys. I got a deal with the buyer after all and bought it! Hence he finished the auction early..

Being a long term user of ebay (both to buy and sell items) I can agree that it is ‘anything goes’… I have found myself many times in the position to bid in good faith only for the buyer to end the auction early… hence when I really want something I tend to ask the seller if he would consider an offer. If he says yes, then he would consider an offer from anyone - so it might as well be me…
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us