Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

25 Aug, 2021
2021-8-25 2:02:30 AM UTC
I think I'll continue to keep an eye on HoME prices. As I understand, the early 2000's prices were driven by movie hype plus an inflated perception of scarcity. High prices incentivized people to sell their latent copies, popping the bubble.

But the early 2000s were 20 years ago now. That's a lot of time for books to filter into the hands of more savvy buyers, and we have a better gauge on actual print runs. Moreover, collectibles are increasingly seen as appreciating assets and storehouses of wealth in uncertain times. Do you think we'll see prices return to previous levels, but with a more durable price floor?
25 Aug, 2021 (edited)
2021-8-25 2:03:52 AM UTC

Aelfwine wrote:

That's an amazing spouse you have there, Caudimorax! Treasure her!

I absolutely do and will all the more for this act of love and kindness. You know she has the same birthday as Bilbo? I've been eyeballing that deluxe Osric for her (among other things) as she also enjoys a bit of book collecting.
25 Aug, 2021
2021-8-25 2:20:23 AM UTC

Aelfwine wrote:

That's an amazing spouse you have there, Caudimordax! Treasure her!

^ What he said. You've got a good 'un.
25 Aug, 2021
2021-8-25 2:23:52 AM UTC

Caudimordax wrote:

I think I'll continue to keep an eye on HoME prices. As I understand, the early 2000's prices were driven by movie hype plus an inflated perception of scarcity. High prices incentivized people to sell their latent copies, popping the bubble.

But the early 2000s were 20 years ago now. That's a lot of time for books to filter into the hands of more savvy buyers, and we have a better gauge on actual print runs. Moreover, collectibles are increasingly seen as appreciating assets and storehouses of wealth in uncertain times. Do you think we'll see prices return to previous levels, but with a more durable price floor?

Nope, I think the bubble will burst again for the vast majority of books. Perhaps relatively scarce early editions of things might stay high, but hard to see a lot of the common-as-can-be editions like the 1st Silmarillion staying at elevated prices. Asset bubbles tend to pop when they stop getting fed. I don't think we are looking at sophisticated investing at the lower end of the market -- it is just misinformed people throwing money away because they can see other misinformed people throwing money away.
25 Aug, 2021
2021-8-25 2:43:48 AM UTC
I think many of us on here have experienced something similar if not the same as to what happened to you. Glad you were able (with some help) to still get a copy!
25 Aug, 2021
2021-8-25 9:15:46 AM UTC
Also try & keep in mind (in terms of valuing) that the later HarperCollins HoME volumes are objectively absolute junk, as books. The paper & binding is horrible. So, on the one hand, condition is something to be wary of as these get older, look well read, etc. Difficult when you buy online. And in the long-term how much should we really be valuing these books over other better made books? The print runs weren't that small & there appear to be a reasonable amount of copies about. Does it really make sense to value these items over rarer, better made books? At one point people were paying a lot of money for these vs. some older editions. That didn't really make any sense in my opinion.
25 Aug, 2021
2021-8-25 10:09:29 AM UTC

Khamûl wrote:

Also try & keep in mind (in terms of valuing) that the later HarperCollins HoME volumes are objectively absolute junk, as books. The paper & binding is horrible. So, on the one hand, condition is something to be wary of as these get older, look well read, etc. Difficult when you buy online. And in the long-term how much should we really be valuing these books over other better made books? The print runs weren't that small & there appear to be a reasonable amount of copies about. Does it really make sense to value these items over rarer, better made books? At one point people were paying a lot of money for these vs. some older editions. That didn't really make any sense in my opinion.

Agreed, PoMe and WoJ, in particular, are printed on toilet paper that looks used. They really aren't good books from a quality perspective. Prices got totally out of hand - a very localised bubble, which collapsed, albeit more of a slow deflation than a sudden pop.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us