Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

9 Sep, 2021
2021-9-9 1:27:55 PM UTC
Druss, those names are simply indicators of successive divisions by 12 of the Valian "hour" (which is approximately on solar month). Prime = 1st division by 12, second = 2nd div., terce = 3rd, and so on down to sext = 6th, and then the smallest such division = minim, which is a fraction of a solar second.
9 Sep, 2021
2021-9-9 1:32:24 PM UTC

Aelfwine wrote:

I'm told that the first Harper Collins (UK) printing of _The Nature of Middle-earth_ (of 12,000 copies) has just about sold out, and that there will be a second printing (of 4,000 copies). For a book as niche as this, that's pretty amazing! The Houghton Mifflin first printing was much larger (3 or 4 times larger, I think), so presumably it is still readily available.

This is a tremendous achievement and congratulations are definitely in order. ?

Having done that… I think I’m going to be getting that 2nd printing, unfortunately, despite having preordered with Amazon Australia back in May when preorders went up, because I’m seeing a dispatch date of early October now. ?
9 Sep, 2021
2021-9-9 1:47:28 PM UTC
A little consolation for those who get a second printing: it gives me an opportunity to address a number of typos (nothing substantial), so yours will be a corrected printing.
9 Sep, 2021
2021-9-9 1:59:15 PM UTC

Aelfwine wrote:

A little consolation for those who get a second printing: it gives me an opportunity to address a number of typos (nothing substantial), so yours will be a corrected printing.

Congratulations Carl. So deserved. My physical edition will finally arrive tomorrow ?

Could we maybe have a list of corrections here if it is allowed. I like to update my digital editions where possible.
9 Sep, 2021
2021-9-9 1:59:51 PM UTC
Ptolemy divided a circle into 360 degrees, a degree into 60 "partes minutae primae" (first minute), and a first minute into 60 "partes minutae secundae" (second minute). That the origin of our minute and second. Tolkien followed this tradition.
9 Sep, 2021
2021-9-9 2:10:32 PM UTC
I'm all over that "more rare" 2nd print
9 Sep, 2021
2021-9-9 4:04:14 PM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

I'm all over that "more rare" 2nd print

You completist collectors are incorrigible. ??
11 Sep, 2021
2021-9-11 5:54:18 PM UTC

eorl wrote:

Aelfwine wrote:

I'm told that the first Harper Collins (UK) printing of _The Nature of Middle-earth_ (of 12,000 copies) has just about sold out, and that there will be a second printing (of 4,000 copies). For a book as niche as this, that's pretty amazing! The Houghton Mifflin first printing was much larger (3 or 4 times larger, I think), so presumably it is still readily available.

This is a tremendous achievement and congratulations are definitely in order. ?

Having done that… I think I’m going to be getting that 2nd printing, unfortunately, despite having preordered with Amazon Australia back in May when preorders went up, because I’m seeing a dispatch date of early October now. ?

I've had the HarperCollins edition on pre-order from Amazon since February. After not hearing from them until Monday this week, I cancelled my order and decided to support my local bookseller instead. They had to order it too, but still got a first printing copy, which I picked up yesterday.

After watching one of the interviews and reading parts of the Reddit AMA, I'm really looking forward to delving into the book. You've done all Tolkien fans a great service by editing this material, Aelfwine! And kudos for patiently answering the same questions over and over again on different platforms. Looks like you're a wanted man right now.
21 Sep, 2021
2021-9-21 10:01:57 PM UTC
Australia/NZ release of the deluxe pushed back to Nov 3rd. Presumably those markets will be getting reprints.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Nature-Middl ... uxe&qid=1632261617&sr=8-1
21 Sep, 2021
2021-9-21 10:33:53 PM UTC
Did yours arrive yet Stu?

HarperCollins underestimates of demand combined with supply bottlenecks...

You think they can get 2nds out by then?
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us